Headlight Back Feeding Problems

Evening all,
Well inevitably after the numerous sets of spotlights got removed a wiring/headlight problem would have to pop up.

Its all started a couple of months after i had taken all the lights off, i would notice driving to and from work that the full beam headlight warning light would glow genitally whilst the headlights were on (Not when on the side lights) this initially could be sorted by giving the wires to the back of the bulb a wiggle.

Unfortunately now it has all gone Pete Tong, the back of the 3 pin connector has melted, which i changed for a straight spade connector. however now the warning light continuously stays glowing. It is fully lit on high beam.

Looking at the lights them self, the offside light at dipped beam glows with a back feed on the high beam filament. When you switch to high beam the offside then illuminates correctly as it should on dipped beam, but no high beam.

I have tried switching the wires, plugs and fuses on the main fuse box but no luck, just wondering if anybody else has any pointers on where to look.

Cheers Jon

Oooooh I had this when I wired mine up wrong :/ the earth on the wrong pin... I had to use chloes car to copy the wiring colours over problem solved :) hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply all.
the fuse box looks all good from the top. wiring wise i have only cut the connector of and stuck straight spade connectors in :/

Update: last night i noticed that when the lights are off, all three brake lights illuminate however the nearside is slightly dimmer. then when the headlights are on the rear nearside brake light is contentiously on and does not change when the brake lights are applied.

will check the fuses and wires tonight, fingers crossed thats it.

Back