Headlight Issues

M

mathew_sheldon

Has anybody else had any problem with their headlights flickering when on dip? I've had this problem on my 1.0l Super S ever since I got it last year and its really annoying. Whenever I switch back to dip after having it on full beam the passenger side light flickers and I have to flash the lights a couple of times to get it to work properly again. I've changed the bulb countless times and it makes no difference. Has anyone else had this trouble? if so then how did u fix it?

Thanks in advance

Mat

I had that problem, but then i checked in behind and messed around with the connections, and they work fine, if you can, just check all the wires look to be in place and see how it goes.

Super S's came with 1.2 Engines, how come yours is a 1.0?

(sorry i cant help with fixing this particular headlight problem)

I checked all the connections and everything seems to be correct, I even took it down to a mechanic friend of my dads and he couldnt find anything that would cause it but then it stopped playing up for a while but now its back again.

I dunno why its only got a 1.0 in it, its definately down as a Super in all the paperwork and stuff

if you headlight dont come on when on dip it is most likely the stalk (the bit you turn them with) you can take it off the steering column and then remove the white backing and clean the contacts or go to the scappers and get another one i had this problem on mine but the previous owner did some dogdy wiring running the side that wasnt working off the side that was if you get what i mean i removed all the wires he fitted and cleaned the contacts job done back street garages will just run wires from one side to the other better off repairing it

Or it could just be a blown element in the bulb, id try that first before ripping your dash to bits! Its an H4 bulb you are after just incase you are not aware.

Daz

Fordy said:
if you headlight dont come on when on dip it is most likely the stalk (the bit you turn them with) you can take it off the steering column and then remove the white backing and clean the contacts or go to the scappers and get another one

If replacing the stalk, make sure you get one thats identical. I replaced mine due to headlight failure and my fog lights no longer worked when i put the replacement in. the connectors on the stalk were different!

well I've re-checked all the connections and havnt found anything loose but no luck, havnt had a chance to go round the scrappies and look for a new stalk yet tho

It's possible, i was thinking the problem also might be in the dim/dip box thingy not sure what its actually called but you cant get inside it to check the connections.

Yes.... or ..... Oh NO! :down:
My car is suffering exactly the same headlight problem => "if you headlight dont come on when on dip".

I haven't even started fixing it but i checked the wiring diagram and tested that it is Ok if switched on.

There is lot of discussions around this problem but not the first real reason of it.
Thanks for the information so far. I know now where the possible cause - Dim/dip unit - is installed in the car and what it’s for.

If somebody has found the reason, please let me know, I would like to try the same solution - instead and before of disassembling the whole Micra :down:.

mathew_sheldon said:
It's possible, i was thinking the problem also might be in the dim/dip box thingy not sure what its actually called but you cant get inside it to check the connections.

Headlight relay! Had to change mine too when my whole headlight etc system went wrong. Very cheap (pocket sized scrapyard find).. ;)

LePe said:
Yes.... or ..... Oh NO! :down:
My car is suffering exactly the same headlight problem => "if you headlight dont come on when on dip".

I haven't even started fixing it but i checked the wiring diagram and tested that it is Ok if switched on.

There is lot of discussions around this problem but not the first real reason of it.
Thanks for the information so far. I know now where the possible cause - Dim/dip unit - is installed in the car and what it’s for.

If somebody has found the reason, please let me know, I would like to try the same solution - instead and before of disassembling the whole Micra :down:.

Could this be a simple as a blown bulb? As on full beam, a seperate independant part of the bulb comes on giving the impression the bulb is fine, but maybe you should check with a replacement first, before looking elsewhere.

RE: RE: Headlight Issues

Arnold said:
Could this be a simple as a blown bulb? As on full beam, a seperate independant part of the bulb comes on giving the impression the bulb is fine, but maybe you should check with a replacement first, before looking elsewhere.

Thanks for very good directions!
Unfortunately I have to say: "This is not a simple thing."
Couple of facts:
1. The bulb checked => :laugh:.
2. Relay checked => There is no such of relay at all. :glance:
3. Wiring diagram checked and Dim/dip unit found. :doh:
4. Left and right headlihgt have a different wiring to Dim/dip unit and to the light switch. :down:
5. Light switch turned on and both lihgts are Ok! :blush: => confirms the main wiring and bulp is Ok.

Because lights work Ok manually; this problem is issulated somehow to the Dim/dip unit.
1. I know the new unit is very expensive. o_O
2. It's possible to get a used one - maybe. fwn
3. Someone who bought the new one did not get any help. o_O
4. This sound like a quite common problem and somebody must know the way to walk around. :ghostface:

I beleive it's the Dim/dip unit but is it repairable ..... :glare:
I don't know yet?

RE: RE: Headlight Issues

mathew_sheldon said:

I suffered this RH head light problem for couple of months until it become bad enough. Thanks for this thread - it was so easy to find the dip/dim unit.
I removed it from the car and it was very easy to open and get the whole sircuit out from the box. There are one real relay and two "coils" on the sircuit. Actually these two coils are relays too. Those very tiny relay contactors are located on it's base/leg. I found that the relay - next to the connectors - was the right hand light's relay. I removed the realy from the sircuit, opend the relay box and fixed those tiny contactors and then put the relay back to the sircuit board and the whole box back to the Micra. That's it. Now it's working perfectly.

T H A N K Y O U F O R H E L P !

It was so easy and quick to fix this problem with instructions from all of you .....

Back