Haynes Vs Nissan Oil change frequency

CMF_david (2)

» CMF Member
I was just wondering if anyone knows why the Haynes manual says that Nissan recommends oil and filter renewal every 15000km (or 12months)when my nissan's owner manual says 10000 (or 6 months).

Can I leave it to every 15000kms without consequences?

smidge

» CMF Member
oil is cheap blown motors aren't... i use a cheaper fully synthetic like nulon 10-40 or mobile synth S and do it more often rather than uber expensive 0-30 castrol stuff

the motors are at least 12 years old, right?

CMF_david (2)

» CMF Member
smidge WROTE:

"oil is cheap blown motors aren't... i use a cheaper fully synthetic like nulon 10-40 or mobile synth S and do it more often rather than uber expensive 0-30 castrol stuff<BR><BR>the motors are at least 12 years old, right?

Yes, car is a 1996 model. I have been changing it and the filter every 10,000kms (at the mechanic so I don't know what oil they used)and was running fine. I have recently filled with 10W-40 Magnatic (Ryco filter) and got me thinking about the discrepancy from the two books.

CMF_xero

» CMF Member
oil: $25-50
filter: $5-10

i change my filter every oil change, a filter is cheap and all the crap in the filter goes out with it.
i change it every 5000km's or 3mths which ever is first.

it takes all of 30mins from start to finish in your garage/driveway.

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
Unless your running a highly modified motor then ever 5000km's is a wast of money. I do mine every 10,000km's and even then the oil looks nice and clean still and dunno about others but I have never had to add oil between oil changes as it does not drop one bit (Touch wood)
I use a 5w40 Penrite Oil which seems to be one of the better oils.

Back