Do you change your oil every 3000 miles?

Hello, I have a 2001 Micra and the manual says to change the oil and filter every 3000 miles. Are they playing it safe or do you actually need to do it this often?

i do mine every 9k going off nissan spec, but 9k was 11months i think ,
pends on how many miles you do and how you drive, such as gental or hard ect,
also what oil you use, 10/40 semi is what i use

I used to do every 6 months which was about 4K for me.
My car was used a lot on motorways and sat at high revs for long periods

When I had my vauxhall astra the oil was sludgy at first but I made a point of checking the dipstick once a week for leval and colour and when it reached ebony colour I changed the oil and filter. Over a period of time the oil got cleaner. When a car reaches 100k miles oil change frequency needs to be decreased to 3k to 5k miles from the recommended 9k miles. 10/40 oil will help to avoid blockages in the oil ways. I think I will use the same method for my nissan micra. also I found it was not worth using expensive oil on an old car as it did not last any longer. its important to change the oil at the correct time to avoid complications with the engine. Happy motoring.

After every event which could be less than 300 miles! I use 5w40 Fully synth, which I buy when it is on offer from ECP, works out about £15 for 5Ltrs. I also only use either Nissan OEM or Blue Print filters.

On a road car, I would use 10w40 probably Vauxhall trade stuff as you can buy it in 20ltr drums for less than £40.

MGZR gets the Vauxhall oil but Rover filter, and is changed about every 6 months, as it is a standard engine.

Back