Nissan micra 1.0 S 01 k11 oil recommendation

Hi all,

im new to this forum, but looks to be full of useful information :).
I am attempting to learn some basic car mechanics just as for fun really as i like tinkering around with cars. Im from just out of london, and what brings me to the forum is my mums beloved nissan micra 1.0s k11. To be honest its been a reliable car thats shes used regularly around town etc, bought in 2003 with 1 previous lady owner and 10k on the clock for a lovely 4k :). Since then it has now done 50K and unfortunately the bodywork has seen better days, but the car has done good service and both me and my brother used it to learn to drive etc and so far nothing has gone wrong with it touch wood.

However in truthfullness the car has been neglected due to funds etc and the last full service it was given was 2007 at probably around 25k by a nissan dealer who charged a lot for it, which is probably why my mum didnt go back there but then didnt service it at all.

I would love some help and advice in me attempting to restore her running condition, but to begin with i was going to do the following.

Oil and filter change, spark plug, air filter and fuel filter and sump plug washer---- phoned nissan and all this costs about £40.

Unfortunately now my manual got stolen from the glove box and am waiting on a new one as well as a haynes manual, but what oil is recommenden for the nissan micra. Im getting confused because the dealer said 10w/40 but some websites say 5w/30.

Therefore any oil recommendations would be good , thanks and sorry for a long first post but thought id introduce myself as well as asking a question
GT160

essexpunx

Site Supporter
You can use either oil just be sure it's good quality, personally i use 5w/30 fully synthetic, but a good quality 10w/40 semi-synthetic will be fine especially as it's not been serviced for a while. :grinning: