Have I lost it?

I think I may be needing a little bit of help, guys. You see, I drive a "60 reg" Ford Fiesta, that's on a PCP (I drive it for 3 years and give it back) The problem with the car is, my Wife says that we need a new car, due to the fact that it's only a 3 door, and we're looking to have a family soon, so we need a five door. I have looked around for another new car on a PCP agreement, and most places that I've spoken to want up to two two grand to swap us into another car, and the repayments go up by £40 a month!

So I've had a look on Auto Trader, and spotted this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...n/radius/100/page/2/postcode/cb12lt?logcode=p

Now, I need (no, I MUST have) a car that is totally 100% reliable, as I'm the kitchen manager for Meals On Wheels, and I work 7 days a work (hence the new car - as I do upwards of 15000 miles per year) So, why am I looking at a ten year old car, that will no doubt fall apart on me ASAP, as I will run it into the ground?

I think I may be falling in love with the K11, that's why! My Wife thinks I've gone nuts, but working on my Mum's old Micra, has rekindled a lost feeling in me, one that I had when my Mum was still around (R.I.P.) I just love tinkering with cars! (Shame I'm crap at the mechanical side of things, though......)

Would it really make sense to swap out a brand new car, for a K11? As I have stated, I don't know sweet FA about cars, and if I don't go to work, I don't get paid, so I need a decent car. Have I lost it? It would make sense to get out of paying through the nose for a car I don't own, though..........

it looks good:) and as you say it makes sence,i love my micra(purple hobbit) and has never let me down, they're good solid little cars, the one your looking at seems to have been well looked after and low millage!look after it and it'll look after you, i'm not the most knowellegable on them but theres alot of people on here that are,sure they'll be more able to help,whatever you decide, hope you enjoy:D

Looks tidy!? If you have a read around here on the forum and ask a few questions then you'll find out all the things to look out for. I think the biggest one with the K11 isthe front cross-member... if thats in good condition then its a good sign the cars been looked after. They're solid little cars and I wouldn't change mine. Don't get me wrong, stuff goes wrong with them but they keep going and are easy and cheap to fix and run. Obviously you'll be saving yourself a load of money in the long run too if you get rid of the Fiesta, so seems like a good idea? Lik I say, have a poke about on here, find out everything you can to look out for on that particular year/model then go and view/test drive it and be ready to fall in love!

Let us all know how it goes, best of luck!...

The money you would save by getting a K11 would build up in case of any emergency repair needed.
and if it never needs repair. you have saved yourself a tidy sum. :)

Thanks for the replies. I would prefer to go for a 1.3, but I'm unsure if they have air-con on them? Is the 1.4 model still easy to tune? (such as exhaust/air filter etc?) And is the front crossmember the only thing that goes wrong on them? (What else should I look for?)

Am I a little bit too old to be thinking about "doing up" a car, at 33 years old? (This is an early "mid-life crisis, isn't it?)

Never to old to have fun!

Cheers for that, agile. The missus, is slowly coming round to the idea of a 2nd hand car, but all she keeps saying is "Does it have to be a Micra?"

On the subject on the K11, does anyone know if the 1.3 version came with air-con in it's production span?

EDIT EDIT: If (And a big "if") what are the best lowering springs and exhaust (rear box) that I could buy for a K11, that would help the ride height and sound of the car, but without it becoming too "outlandish"? Remember, this car will be a daily driver, and not a track car! (LOL)

e-bay has many different lowering springs, and my exhaust i had a tuning place select and fit,it's deeper sounding and a little louder and more free flowing combined with a second decat,just told them i didn't want a chavy sound and they selected what was appropiate,helps i knew the guy lol

e-bay has many different lowering springs, and my exhaust i had a tuning place select and fit,it's deeper sounding and a little louder and more free flowing combined with a second decat,just told them i didn't want a chavy sound and they selected what was appropiate,helps i knew the guy lol

Do you think it would be ok to go for a 30-35mm drop on standard shocks? Can you buy a kit that comes with uprated dampers and springs? And are you saying that it's worth having an exhaust made up, rather than buying one off the shelf? Cheers again : )

mine is lowered more than that on standard shocks and no problems! you can buy coilovers for a corsa and a little moddifying to fit,search bar will help for info on that,i will probally get some myself when money allows.as for exhaust,when i whent into my mates garage there were a lot of exhausts on the shelf,different sizes which effects the sound, once we decided which one would be most suitable to my requirements he then took some measurements and started fabricating the exhaust pipes so it would fit. so the exhaust it self is already made up,just need to be fitted properly.mine comes with a lifetime garauntee and looks/sounds much better now:)

mine is lowered more than that on standard shocks and no problems! you can buy coilovers for a corsa and a little moddifying to fit,search bar will help for info on that,i will probally get some myself when money allows.as for exhaust,when i whent into my mates garage there were a lot of exhausts on the shelf,different sizes which effects the sound, once we decided which one would be most suitable to my requirements he then took some measurements and started fabricating the exhaust pipes so it would fit. so the exhaust it self is already made up,just need to be fitted properly.mine comes with a lifetime garauntee and looks/sounds much better now:)

I have had a look for a matching lowering spring/damper kit, but they are in the region of £400! (Gmax do one) I would prefer to go down the route, as I've lowered cars before without matching dampers, and the ride was awful. Are there any cheaper options? Cheers : )

EDIT: A reply I have received on the "Honest John" website, about the same question:

As a former owner of a 3-door Micra K11 (my first car!), I HAD to get rid of it at 10 years old as it was starting to cost me more to run per year than it was worth. The dealership (full Nissan service history) said that the front cross-member was indeed starting to deteriorate, though not bad enough to be hazardous.
It had failed its MOT twice in one year on a shot rear brake cylinder (waer-and-tear - fair enough) and more crucially a rusted thorugh section of bodywork by the front seatbelt mounting point (which had to be replaced/welded). Good for its day, but past its sell-by date now. :(

i paid a guy from here a quarter of that for lowering my car, i have since put spring assisters on the rears as a bit too soft and that seems sorted now,and i've no problems! again it's up to the inididual and as said i'd get coilovers if i could afford them,but more than happy with the ride now, as for m.o.t, my car just passed its m.o.t a couple of weeks ago, and flew through the m.o.t last year,my car is 14 years old! admitedly i had an advisory this time round for the sills,it's a 14 year old micra! not bad i think,i always keep on top of looking after my car, cleaning servicing,tinkering,rust proofing etc,look afetr it and it'll look after you:D

Back