Has anyone lightened stock conrods?

I was looking at this video on youtube

Has anyone lightened the stock conrods?

Is there much fat that can be trimmed?

What is recommended as a after treatment? shotpeening etc?

I'm talking N/A application...

I have read about lightening the flywheel and that is on the to-do list for the next build but as I have access to a lathe I'd like to look at the rods as well.

I reckon I'd also have a go at static balancing...

You got me looking up primary and secondary vibration with respect to engine balancing, thanks :)

A very brief statement of what I understand it to be so we aren't talking at cross purposes:
Secondary is weight / vibration / imbalance caused because of the piston's movement in the cylinder and that the piston will move faster during the rotation from 90 BTDC to 90 ATDC causing an imbalance or vibration at twice crank speed or frequency (hence secondary)...

The conrod seems to be considered part secondary (little end) and part primary (big end).

Is it that the secondary imbalance involves twice the frequency that means that it is of less importance or is it harder to make an improvement with?

I figure that the bigend is where most of the conrod weight is it would be similar to removing weight from the flywheel....

Then on the other hand...

The stroke of the CG13 is 80.5mm the average location of the bigend weight is therefore 40.25mm from the centre of the crank, I can't remember the diameter of the CG13 flywheel but the clutch is 180mm right? so a fair bit larger than that (lets say 220mm diameter).

So I guess long story short as frank said an imbalance or weight 40mm from the centre of the crank will have far less impact than one on the outside of the flywheel at something like 110mm (approx a third of the influence).

Is there a consequence of using the flywheel to balance the other rotating parts? ie the flywheel is stuck right down the back where something @ no 1 cylinder might be what it's trying balance....?

I was thinking along these lines because my time is free... but I'll put conrod lightening lower on my list, it could get real expensive if you took too much off I guess and probably not worth the risk.

Thanks for the reply frank, please point out errors in my musings. ;)

sounds a bit technical to me mate :D i think the secondary forces are only important at very high rpm (superbike 15k or whatever)
for example the counterweights on the crank should correct the conrod imbalance, yet people grind loads of material off the counterweights when knife-edging a crank, so i doubt if a few grams removed from the rod (re that vid ^ ) will make any difference tbh

Yeah my nerdyness seems to escalate fast. :)

You're bag on about the high RPM, apparently secondary forces rise exponentially with revs. The wiki article was pretty thorough... some of the bike engine configurations ie V or flat seem to deal with it better than a straight 4.

Counterweights are to offset the weight of the piston and little end of the conrod right? does that mean the crank can only be knife-edged if it's now got lighter pistons? or do they just live with the supposed imbalance?

If and when I build it I might try to balance the rods and pistons and leave it at that.

i think the counterweights are a compromise anyway mate, because the imbalance from the rod and piston will change as the crank turns eh (heaviest at tdc and bdc, and lighter at 90 deg before and 90 deg after) i guess knife-edging the crank should include lightening the rod too ?

Back