Halfords Engine Oil

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Does anyone here actually use this stuff? My engine's been really grindy for ages and making lots of noise so i checked the oil level and it was below the L mark, but the only oil i had lying around was Halfords own!

Anyway, came out and drove my car to work this morning and i've never heard the engine so quiet!! Even with Castrol GTX etc, its never been this good.. So... Anyone else here use it? k10/k11/k12? & notice any differences?

I've not used their engine oil just brake oil and it's fine, I'd expect it to be decent, they may be rip offs for ICE and stuff but find their car parts and supllies quite decent in quality and price.

lol i was looking at buying some iol today, going to do a change...

Whats the best to use?

They only have one in my local frauds, 10/40 for petrol and another for diesel! Think it comes in a browny orange bottle.

Yeah it does the job, we use it in my mums K11 (15W40) and my dads Primera (5W40) :)

Personally, I use Castrol GTX Magnatec and find that to be the best/quietest for my car.

you only have to ask...

firstly the oil we produce is from a huge company called Comma.... they produce more oil than castrol and sponsor more racing challegens too..

the 10w40 is in a Green bottle, the 15w40 (what i use) is in a Purple bottle, the bownish gold colour is the 10w40 diesel oil, wich has more anti coagulents in it (to stop it going mushy and goopy)

the magnatech stuff is allright, but its a marketing gimic, they say its sticks through magnetism to the inside of your engine........which is aluminium........which isnt magnetic....:wasntme:

anyway
hope i helped

and yeah you can get it for about £6 a bottle on halfords trade

well, if your car is under 60,000miles, then 10w40 is fine, after that then generaly you get niggly little oil leaks, so 15w40 is better...

to be honest, once the engine is warm, they are both a 40weight anyway..... so either

lol i was looking at the 0w40 stuff, £38 for 3L lol only need to run that, if ur pushing serious power.

antony_aiken said:
you only have to ask...

firstly the oil we produce is from a huge company called Comma.... they produce more oil than castrol and sponsor more racing challegens too..

the 10w40 is in a Green bottle, the 15w40 (what i use) is in a Purple bottle, the bownish gold colour is the 10w40 diesel oil, wich has more anti coagulents in it (to stop it going mushy and goopy)

the magnatech stuff is allright, but its a marketing gimic, they say its sticks through magnetism to the inside of your engine........which is aluminium........which isnt magnetic....:wasntme:

anyway
hope i helped

and yeah you can get it for about £6 a bottle on halfords trade

The pistons, timing chain, etc are aluminimum? I doubt it :suspect:

i saw some castrol oil the other day, 15w 40 i think it was and it was high mileage oil for cars over 70k. might use that next if i dont sell the car before then

If your car isnt using any oil between changes don't run the 'high milage' mixtures, or upgrade to a thicker oil.

My car gets spoilt with NEO Synthetics "Gold" 10w40. Its a grade 5 synthetic, costs $70AUD for 5L. I like it because
a) its reasonably priced and economical for me to use
b) 20,000km/1yr service life (this is not a bull#### claim either)
c) stable even under temperature fluctuations
d) VERY low friction oil - fuel efficiency!

ANyway I did the maths and the amount of KM i was driving my car I realised this NEO synthetic stuff was going to be cheaper to run than the semi synthetic penrite oil I was previously using (and changing ever 5000km or 3 months - whichever came first really (i do a fair bit of stop start AND giving it bootfuls up and down twisty mountain roads). That oil was a premium semi synthetic and was costing me $42AUD for 5L!! The NEO stuff i can leave in for the whole year and not really worry about. I check it all the time of course but it hasnt visibly lost its "oil" characteristics (unlike the semi synthetics which would deteriorate and feel less slippery to the touch after a few thousand km of my driving). I still change the filter regularly (probably more often than required) and I use a PureOne filter. Double pleat element - better filtration.

Fuel economy is indeed excellent as well. I got a new record for myself not that long ago. 4.5L/100km. lol. factory highway consumption... Couldnt believe it hehe

i use the green 40/10 halfords stuff on my old micra but since it's gone over 100k (this is my missus car now) i'm gonna try the High mile Castrol stuff.

The Magnatec gimic does not claim it sticks to the engine "by magnatism" - its oil not a metal...

however they have shoved an additive into the oil, which is semi synthetic by nature that makes it "cling" to the engine components. It leaves a film over the parts to help reduce start up ware

Now - if you use fully synt, this property already exisits..

I use 10w40 magnatec in the Primera 2.0 (90k) , Micra 1.0 (34k), Almera 1.4 (54k) and all of the cars love it - although my primera is starting to show its age a bit and by the looks of it is drinking oil slowly - been advised by one of the other primera owners that Halfords oil 15w40 is good - he had the same problem and it has stopped drinking oil and is actualy a lot more quieter...

sorry guys, my mistake, just been such a long time since i was on the parts dept....lol

but wedo all go on training courses with Castrol, Bosch, Comma, Ngk, Champion etc etc, its not like were just some "sales people"........ we know our stuff, in fact we have three electrical technicians, 4 motorvehicle mechanics and 2 international 4x mountain bike riders working for our store.....

search for james and richard norton from sheffield hallam university and you will see what i mean, 4th in country at mo... anyway,o_O one of me mates so i need to blag...haha

i just baught some mobil 1 fully synth, it will run 10w40, 15w40, 0w40, 5w40, 5w30 etc, all are fine according to nissan.

Back