Engine Oil Top Up Question

Good Morning all,

I want to top up the engine oil on my K12 (2009, 1.4l), according to Halfords the one I need is their brand 5w-30

I already have two bottles lying around from when I had my previous car. They are:

Halfords 5w-30 Fully Synthetic "Ford"
Petronas 5w-30 Fully Synthetic 5000

Apparently the Petronas is not suitable for my vehicle . Will the 5W-30 "Ford" one be ok ? I have no idea what is meant by the "Ford". I have almost 1.5L of it and would rather not waste the oil, and spend almost £20 on a new bottle.

Thank you.

The word ford relates to all fords that use this particular type of oil.
You have heard about different oil grades and viscosities with different specialties and various operating measures, as well as, serving different engines, and in different operating environments. But the most probable and suitable engine oil is what is recommended by your manufacturer in the owner’s manual. This is what defines your engine and preserve it in every operative environment, as well as, in different working conditions or temperature situations.

All engine oils are categorized concerning their viscosity, resistance in streamline flow, and how well it performs and delivers at temperature extremes. The ideal engine oil for your vehicle is one that sustains its viscosity and grade, even in the hottest temperatures as well as in the coldest temperature situations. 5w30 oil is suited to a broad range of temperatures, making it one of the most commonly used oils on the market.

Two types of vehicles​

5W30 is engine oil that is not specifically built for one or two types of vehicles. It could be used with light-duty petrol and diesel engines. Like many other engine oils produced today, 5w30 is multi-grade engine oil, providing the fact that it ranges from a lower viscosity grade of 5 to a higher viscosity grade of 30.

The acronym W in an engine oil name corresponds for winter and the number preceding it is oil’s viscosity or thickness number at low temperatures, and the number after it indicates viscosity at higher temperatures, while the engine is running, friction is at maximum and temperature is higher.
5W30 engine oil has a viscosity grade of five at extremely lower temperatures, meaning it will be less viscous at low temperatures compared to higher viscosity counterparts. It possesses a high viscosity grade of 30, which implies it is less viscous at high temperatures as well than higher viscosity counterparts.

5W30 engine oil is bound to properly function in temperatures as low as -30ºC and as high as 35ºC, making it an ideal choice to drive in a high-temperature variations area. So its upto you if you use your existing oil if the seals are still intact the oil should still be ok to use.:unsure:

Good Morning all,

I want to top up the engine oil on my K12 (2009, 1.4l), according to Halfords the one I need is their brand 5w-30

I already have two bottles lying around from when I had my previous car. They are:

Halfords 5w-30 Fully Synthetic "Ford"
Petronas 5w-30 Fully Synthetic 5000

Apparently the Petronas is not suitable for my vehicle . Will the 5W-30 "Ford" one be ok ? I have no idea what is meant by the "Ford". I have almost 1.5L of it and would rather not waste the oil, and spend almost £20 on a new bottle.

Thank you.
stick either it in, it will do no harm.
why would it not be suitable for your car, ?? rubbish!
its a top up, you can mix these with regular, semi or fully synthetic.
better oil in there than none.
its a 13 year old nissan, not a ferrari

Back