Getting more light from the tails on a 1992 Micra

Hi there, I'm in the process of getting my 1992 Micra on the road again and besides my other car is dark, I prefer to drive it at 62 mph where 80 mph is allowed, some people are able to see a difference between a large truck and two Micra rear lights, telling me by dodging my car quite late. I have sanded my masses and my battery is in good shape, also I changed my unknown p21/5w bulbs for new, recognized by the internet for luminosity, ones.

Is there something else I can do to ensure my tails perform at the best?

Likely suspect is the rear lights earth connection that is common.

Simple quick test by switching them all on, rear fog light included, together with four way hazard flashers.

Look for any variation in brightness of the rear red tail lights as the hazard lights flash on & off.

Yes, that was the case. Silly enough the battery did so. After sanding all masses and minimizing the problem, installing a known good battery solved that issue in full (for annual inspection).

I'm hoping to learn how I can get the most out of my rear lights. I have bought myself two new p21/5w bulbs replacing two working ones, just to make sure they perform the best. However, by experience I'll be installing regular bulbs, no led solutions. My rears should be visible from the side but give the maximum I can get for traffic behind.

If there would exist such bulbs as p42/10w I would have just installed those.

The existing rear lamps wattage ratings are an optimum brightness tuned balanced matched set up that has been refined & defined over decades of custom & practice experience.

That is in order that the various different rear lamps can be easily distinguished & differentiated at various distances from behind.

Making the rear tail lamps brighter, by increasing lamps wattage, would dazzle & irritate drivers behind you & make it much more difficult for them to spot the difference between your rear tail lamps & brake lamps introducing new faults & annual safety inspection MOT test failure?

Good luck (y)

Okay, I see now that there is a large picture. That would then include my Nissan 100Nx tail lights. The European version has two bulbs and the American version has two bulbs on each side. From an MOT inspector I was told that all lighting needs to have https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_approval and that page it starts for cars after 2013 but the MOT inspector also told me when I told him my tail lights are non European, that he should not approve it but that after a visual inspection with no strange things he wouldn't bother to look for this type aproval and also not mention it.

So that is for imported tail lights. They also have been sprayed and local law says you may not. Still the MOT inspector told me if he couldn't tell the blinkers in my case, have lower then usual output, he wouldn't mention it.

But I get it that tail lights from 1992 in my case, are well thought constructions and not a bulb inside some red glass. I also understand that by altering my distinguisness, my differantation compared with regular tail lights from all makes and models, might be negatively influenced in test circumstances which is not what I want.

I'm not after irritating or confusing other road users and I already know by trying, there is no use for aftermarket led lights for example.

I also won't alter my bulbs but any other options I would like to consider. If there was a way to give my Micra double tail lights I surely would consider want that.

Well researched & thought out as that’s about the sum of automotive rear lights set up.

In short, if it isn’t broke, don’t mess about with it.;)

Euro land 100KPH = 62 mph approx.

I tend to aim @ 50 mph or less with a 100 metre plus gap in front, on A roads, as its more calming (safer) than higher speeds throttle & brake driving bumper to bumper & avoids breathing the concentrated aerosol exhaust fumes of the vehicle in front.

Perhaps optimal individual speed is indeterminate, or as we like it? :cool:

I suppose I should let this go and make no attempts to get better output. That said I was driving after I read plmval's answer and by looking out for other cars with bad visibillity while having the tail lights on. There are so many that are quite newer (ten years or more) that aren't properly visible. So many I can tell it is not bad maintanance or neglect, those nowadays tail lights can be a lot worse as my original k11's.

For the speed, yes 100 kilometres per hour is what I aim for. I also learned I'm really not the only one so that is a good thing and for economical reasons, that is about eleven percent savings while the percentage of roads where I may go faster is somewhere below 40%.

And yes, having some distance is really a good idea. Just accepting that other people will use that distance and letting the gaspedal go a bit is something I've been learned when I took my driving leasons.

Here in the UK, the annual vehicle safety inspection MOT testers are alert to the correct relative set up brightness luminosity & colours of vehicles external lights.

Some years ago, I found my rear fog lamp unserviceable just hours before the MOT test. I did not have the correct wattage spare lamp available but replaced it with a lower wattage lamp?

I took my chances and got caught as the MOT tester failed its test as the rear fog light was deemed to be insufficiently bright luminosity compared to the rear tail lights.

Modern vehicles have multiple faceted LEDs arranged in novelty decorative patterns eye candy.

When one LED fails on a multiple LED module light assembly, MOT testers will be able to fail them as unserviceable at excessive replacement non universal module prices.

That’s where the money is for the future, not in the old car driver’s pockets but in the manufactures shareholders pockets! ;)

Good luck.

Back