Information on the Micra K11

Hello guys i am new to this club, i do not own a micra as of yet but i am getting one for my next car. Been after one for ages but i am fussy about things such as ariel on the A-pillar which im not a fan of etc but realised the 1997 models onwards had them on the rear of roof. So anyways i am now currently saving up for one, hope to get one around christmas time.

I have a few questions about them, i have searched around about a few things but some im not clued up on :

1. What are the 1.3 engines like, do they perform well, are they worth the tuning or better to go for conversion, if so what engines do people fit into the micra ??

2. Question about the rear windows, i see some are fixed and some you can open. Is this due to spec level etc, if so what specs had what ??

Any help will be appreciated

I can awnser the first one! They are amazing little engines, mines done 120,000 and it still takes constant thrashing of me, it runs as sweet as a nut. They react very well to tuning read ebbdudes threads Maxi micra and Micro micra he tunes them up and gets impressive gains from dead simple things.

My super s has pop out rear 1/4 windows, im not sure which other models do. There not as good as you think, my mates always forget to close them fwn

Welcome to the club (Y)

The 1.3 engine is very tuneable and can be turned into a right nippy little car :grinning: read up on a few blogs like franks and you can see what the CG13 is actually capable of. If you want lotsa power then turbo is a good idea and you should read Stanis blog. The micras are so under-rated and when you realise how much potential they have there great little cars. You canalso go down the conversion route with the commonly used GA16 or SR20 from the almeras (Y) although you could use probably any engine as long as you had the time and money to fit it.

Best of luck in whatever you choose to do and hope you find a decent micra(Y)

And for the specs, by you wanting the aerial on the back you would be looking for the facelift models from about 1998 onwards and i think the Si came with the pop out windows. But i'm not too sure about this and im sure someone else can help :grinning:

Thank you so much for the quick replies lads. I will check them blogs out now and see whats happening. I heared the japanese cars were class and their engines also. Going to get a tidy micra now around christmas time. When i mentioned the pop out windows i actually want to avoid having these, i want the fixed windows. Im fussy when it comes to cars, i be looking for a micra with ariel at the rear, fixed rear windows, no sunroof and certain colours (red, white, black, silver or yellow).

I am very good when it comes to cars, conversions etc. Done quite a lot of them now in other cars, basically i know my way around cars. With the SR20 engines do these need any major modification to fit or just the usual custom mounts, shafts etc when it comes to bigger lumps etc ??

Also if i was to get a micra and it had the pop out windows, can these easily be swapped for fixed windows or can this not be done ??

Many thanks guys

hey liio google "little bandit" for sr20 conversion also good luck finding one without a sun roof not to many around

Thank you so much for the quick replies lads. I will check them blogs out now and see whats happening. I heared the japanese cars were class and their engines also. Going to get a tidy micra now around christmas time. When i mentioned the pop out windows i actually want to avoid having these, i want the fixed windows. Im fussy when it comes to cars, i be looking for a micra with ariel at the rear, fixed rear windows, no sunroof and certain colours (red, white, black, silver or yellow).

I am very good when it comes to cars, conversions etc. Done quite a lot of them now in other cars, basically i know my way around cars. With the SR20 engines do these need any major modification to fit or just the usual custom mounts, shafts etc when it comes to bigger lumps etc ??

Also if i was to get a micra and it had the pop out windows, can these easily be swapped for fixed windows or can this not be done ??

Many thanks guys

Im sure fixed windows are more common than pop out ones, so im sure youll find one with it . And im sure they can be swapped if you have the ones you want to switch to, just remove the old ones and seal the new ones into place (Y)

Karlj - Thank you will check that out now, i have seen quite a few without a sunroof about, about 50/50 really

Sjackson - I cant remember seeing or having a car where there was a choice of pop out or fixed before so i would not know haa

I think a the facelift special editions (Ally, Inspiration) either came with a sunroof or air conditioning depending on choice when first bought. The Equation is the lowest model in the range with hardly anything as standard.

I think a the facelift special editions (Ally, Inspiration) either came with a sunroof or air conditioning depending on choice when first bought. The Equation is the lowest model in the range with hardly anything as standard.

Yeh i am after the lowest spec, i like things basic haa. I also prefer not to have power steering, im pretty sure though all facelift had power steering dont they

Nope, both my mum and my grans are facelifts and neither of them have power steering :grinning:

When i go to look at a Micra what are the things to look out for with these cars. Where are the common rust areas on these cars, and what else if anything should i look out for ??

The front crossmember, the sills, all arches and also in the boot under the carpet on the rear seatbelt mounts and suspension turrets.

Just your usual car checks aswell. No nasty noises on startup etc. Make sure you get to start it from cold etc... Apart from these points there aint alot to look out for, there well built cars (Y)

The front crossmember, the sills, all arches and also in the boot under the carpet on the rear seatbelt mounts and suspension turrets.

Just your usual car checks aswell. No nasty noises on startup etc. Make sure you get to start it from cold etc... Apart from these points there aint alot to look out for, there well built cars (Y)

Thank you again for your input mate. Are the front crossmembers bolt on jobs on the Micra or spotted in. Will be giving it a thorough look over i have had my fair share of rust over the past grrr. Will be getting a 1997+ model anyways so should be in better condition in terms of rust compared to the earlier K11

Just cant wait to get one now, just not quite got the funds yet, slowly building them :grinning:

Thank you again for your input mate. Are the front crossmembers bolt on jobs on the Micra or spotted in. Will be giving it a thorough look over i have had my fair share of rust over the past grrr. Will be getting a 1997+ model anyways so should be in better condition in terms of rust compared to the earlier K11

Just cant wait to get one now, just not quite got the funds yet, slowly building them :grinning:

Be careful though, just cause its newer doesnt mean it wont be a rust bucket like older models so choose wisely :p

And im not too sure about the crossmember, i think it may be spot-welded in place but i cant say for definite. But if you ever need to replace one, its probably one of those jobs left for a garage unless you know what your doing :grinning:

When i go to look at a Micra what are the things to look out for with these cars. Where are the common rust areas on these cars, and what else if anything should i look out for ??

Go out for a test drive with him and make sure he tries every gear and dosnt hide anything when driving. Like a slipping clutch etc.

Be careful though, just cause its newer doesnt mean it wont be a rust bucket like older models so choose wisely :p

And im not too sure about the crossmember, i think it may be spot-welded in place but i cant say for definite. But if you ever need to replace one, its probably one of those jobs left for a garage unless you know what your doing :grinning:

Yehh true but less likely thats all. I dont take none of my cars to the garage anyways all the work i do is carried out by myself and my welding is done by my step dad, im useless with a welder tbh

:grinning:

You mentioned that yellow was in your possible colour list,be nice to see one getting the treatment..
Crossmembers are welded on but don't always need replacing,sometimes you can get away with patching them up.Nissan kindly put a few holes in the top of the section so they fill up with water.Hard to see the damage on the front edge with the bumper on..
What you mean mate, confused me haa

You mentioned that yellow was in your possible colour list,be nice to see one getting the treatment..
Crossmembers are welded on but don't always need replacing,sometimes you can get away with patching them up.Nissan kindly put a few holes in the top of the section so they fill up with water.Hard to see the damage on the front edge with the bumper on..

Ahh i see. Yehh its a possibility for me, think it could look nice done up. Will cross that bridge when i get there anyways, im used too rust now haa

Ahh i see. Yehh its a possibility for me, think it could look nice done up. Will cross that bridge when i get there anyways, im used too rust now haa

Yellow lowered onto some wide wheels would look awesome (Y)

Yellow lowered onto some wide wheels would look awesome (Y)

I will be lowering it for sure, not too keen on wide wheels though, going to stick with nissan alloys, will look more into them when i get the car. What inch wheels do the micra come with or what do people put on them, i hate big alloys just want to know if other nissan car alloys will fit nice almera, sunny etc

. Will be getting a 1997+ model anyways so should be in better condition in terms of rust compared to the earlier K11

Both my k10(1990) and my k11(1995) have less rust put together than my first k11(1997) did my old k11 was riddled with ye olde rust worm the rear sills had been patch up 3 or 4 times before I got it and when I got it the whole front panel had to be replace (weld jobbie all round) and the sills had to be redone yet again so really speaking age doesn't mean to much

Yeh you are right in a way, it has a bit to do with luck aswell, i wont be buying one that has rot thats for sure. A nice garaged micra i could do with getting, one thats been away from the elements

:laugh:

I will be lowering it for sure, not too keen on wide wheels though, going to stick with nissan alloys, will look more into them when i get the car. What inch wheels do the micra come with or what do people put on them, i hate big alloys just want to know if other nissan car alloys will fit nice almera, sunny etc

Yeah Almera and sunny alloys will fit. 15" Almera GTi alloys perhaps?

Yeah Almera and sunny alloys will fit. 15" Almera GTi alloys perhaps?

Sweet i will have to have a look at a micra with 15" first. As i will be lowering it i dont want wheels that will lift it more etc. Want a nice lowish stance.

I have another question, can you swap bonnet, headlight and wings with pre 1997 micra and all fit nice and snug. Essentially making it a pre facelift front end. Just looking at options thats all

Sweet i will have to have a look at a micra with 15" first. As i will be lowering it i dont want wheels that will lift it more etc. Want a nice lowish stance.

I have another question, can you swap bonnet, headlight and wings with pre 1997 micra and all fit nice and snug. Essentially making it a pre facelift front end. Just looking at options thats all

In my opinion, 15's are a bit big for the micra. I would pick 14's over 15's, for that extra added bit of lowness and they look more in proportion to the size of the car. :grinning:

And yes you can swap them over, someone has done it before (but i cant remember who it was :()

In my opinion, 15's are a bit big for the micra. I would pick 14's over 15's, for that extra added bit of lowness and they look more in proportion to the size of the car. :grinning:

And yes you can swap them over, someone has done it before (but i cant remember who it was :()

+1 on the wheels, and robert p/f,ed his car a couple of years ago (its covered in his blog)
i think you need bonnet, lights, bumper and catch + upright

If you like the pre-facelift front might be an idea to be patient & look hard for an old dears very clean 1.3 pre-facelift or a decent Super S.(available in black :) )Other benefit of this would be that you could get a pre-NATS car & potentially save yourself a lot of aggro in the future.
Sadly I don't follow my own advice & started with a battered nats disease inflicted 1.0 but if I were to do it over again I'd wait for the right Super S to appear in a good colour :)

Thanks again guys, i will look at roberts blog now. Reason i dont want a pre-facelift is i dont like the ariel where it is and dont fancy welding and respraying just for that. I like the look on both front ends just looking at it as an option thats all. I really like the Nismo spoiler on the Micra too.

What is this NATS lark then guys, is this the management system they run etc, sorry im not clued up on these japanese cars haa

I dont see no thanks button around the posts. I shall try the search, sorry its just i have not found search functions helpfull on other forums

:grinning:

I am still tinkering with the idea of getting a micra, and times getting closer now for me to choose between getting a micra and going back to a corsa. I have had a scout around but cant find some of the info im after

If you go down the route of a GA15DE, GA16DE or SR20DE engine conversion is it only the water pump issue and engine mounts with fitting the engine, also i know you need custom shafts etc but just to get the engine and gearbox in there ??

On the other hand if i was to stick with the CG13 engine how much BHP can be achieved with them, anyone who has this engine could you state your 0-60 mph times as i dont want to be lumbered if the engine is not upto it. What sort of cars can the CG13 micra keep up with etc. They are light cars also which helps a lot ??

Reasons im asking is im used to nippy cars, my last 2 corsa's have been fitted with a 1.8 8v (115 bhp/130 lb-ft) and 2.0 16v (150 bhp/150 lb-ft) and both were very quick.

I drive my mates Fiesta Zetec-S quite a lot and thats not too bad, miles from my old corsa but still fairly quick, how would the CG13 micra compare to the ZS ??

Many thanks again

I am still tinkering with the idea of getting a micra, and times getting closer now for me to choose between getting a micra and going back to a corsa. I have had a scout around but cant find some of the info im after

If you go down the route of a GA15DE, GA16DE or SR20DE engine conversion is it only the water pump issue and engine mounts with fitting the engine, also i know you need custom shafts etc but just to get the engine and gearbox in there ??

On the other hand if i was to stick with the CG13 engine how much BHP can be achieved with them, anyone who has this engine could you state your 0-60 mph times as i dont want to be lumbered if the engine is not upto it. What sort of cars can the CG13 micra keep up with etc. They are light cars also which helps a lot ??

Reasons im asking is im used to nippy cars, my last 2 corsa's have been fitted with a 1.8 8v (115 bhp/130 lb-ft) and 2.0 16v (150 bhp/150 lb-ft) and both were very quick.

I drive my mates Fiesta Zetec-S quite a lot and thats not too bad, miles from my old corsa but still fairly quick, how would the CG13 micra compare to the ZS ??

Many thanks again

Think to get big power from a CG13 you need to go turbo.

If your gonna drop in a bigger engine. I would say SR20.

Think to get big power from a CG13 you need to go turbo.

If your gonna drop in a bigger engine. I would say SR20.

Would prefer to stay N/A though, my usual mods include bike carbs, cams, higher compression, 4 branch manifold with full system, would that see some healthy gains on the GA13 engine

With the SR20 engine is the only problem the water pump issue

Would prefer to stay N/A though, my usual mods include bike carbs, cams, higher compression, 4 branch manifold with full system, would that see some healthy gains on the GA13 engine

Yeah you would see good gains, the beauty of the cg series is they are very responsive engines

I think the waterpump issue is more to do with the GA. But then again, only a few people have actually done an SR20 conversion.

Yeah you will see good gains. But you can only go so far before youve squezed out all power you can from the engine and it might just not be enough.

Yeah you would see good gains, the beauty of the cg series is they are very responsive engines

That is good news then, just been scouting around and on youtube there is a CG13 on bike carbs i think from japan pushing out 160 bhp, that seems hell of a lot to get out of a 1300 lump

Yeah you will see good gains. But you can only go so far before youve squezed out all power you can from the engine and it might just not be enough.

Thats what im worried about if its not enough, where as i can go the quick route with a corsa and get easy straight power from the word go

But the corsas a... well it's a corsa, not picking on them or anything but when was the last time gm made a car that was reliable? German or Jap is the only way

But the corsas a... well it's a corsa, not picking on them or anything but when was the last time gm made a car that was reliable? German or Jap is the only way

Your quite true there mate, but they are awfull simple cars haa. Im torn between both, would love to get a micra and dump the GA16 or SR20 in but they aint straight forward are they, they need quite a lot of playing to get them in, and its money, with a corsa everything is cheap etc

Liio i am fussy about things such as ariel on the A-pillar which im not a fan of etc but realised the 1997 models onwards had them on the rear of roof. So anyways i am[/QUOTE said:
you got to realize:laugh: how far can you get in your decision based on buying a car to were the ariel position is situated :laugh: some one moded the ariel to the centre back any way on the pre facelift,you could do that??maybe--in this k11 blog
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/35251-PollyMobiles-Rebuild
where is the corsa ariel placed ??????????????

Back