getting more kick out of my micra

.kiz

Buy & Sell Member
can anyone tell me the cheapest but biggest difference to get some more bhp into your car?
as you can tell i know nothing about cars, and im trying to change that :p one step at a time :k10:

If you don't know what your doing with ignition timing don't do it! If you advance the timing too much you can have problems!

if you dont know how or why then dont do it, you have to been on the ball if you do it, like checking plug conditons alot and oil change regularly if your pushing alot of advance

i'd say anything up to 5 degrees advance on top of standard timing is a safe limit for the everyday driver and not having to worry about the engine as long as your change the oil regularly and check on top of engine fluid levels

you will get alot more low down poke by doing that and also gain a bit more poke when overtaking

i'm personnaly running 5 degrees over standard on a 1.2 ecc engine and haven't had any problems as of yet and have a car running 72bhp at the fly, now ive got a wideband a/f ratio gauge i'll be pushing the advance a bit more as i'll know when to stop sooner

Yeah if you push it too much, you can blow manifolds. I think quickdraw (ex member) said he got through several!

mechanic.jpg

Edit: I believe it is actually Alan's cat.... :grinning:

LOL too much advancing creates a term called pinking. Its when the mixure in the cylinder ignites from a hotspot in the cylinder just before TDC which then tries to push the piston back down the wrong way.

A way to test this is to get the engine up to temp, find a hill and put it in 4th at like 20mph and boot it. This way you get a lot of load on the engine, and if its pinking you will hear a noise thats sounds like: "pink, pink, pink" :p

Ryan.

Back