gearboxes

but your saying the cg13 box will bolt to the ma-series block? if the cg13 box fits then the cg10 box will definatly fit!

the E series engines (sunny) all have 6 bolts on the flywheel :(

Looks like it will but i don't have time to try at the moment. Maybe when i blow this box up. Need to get back on the road this year! lol

does the cg10 have a 6 bolt crank if not this would be a better convertion

just wondering if the cg13 clutch pressure plate could be re-drilled to fit the ma flywheel

judging by the profile of pressure plate assembly, I think this would be tricky...I recon it would be better to use an off the shelf clutch part and do any mods to the fly wheel (ie drill & tap new holes to accept the larger clutch parts as an option (as wrenchable suggested below)

.....so re-drilling the ma fly wheel to fit the cg13 pressure plate looks possible.

As a separate thought, re-drilling the 5-6 bolt crank holes in the flywheel would probably not be possible/ unwise due to overlap of the new hole positions against the old ones (hexagon over pentagon)

SO, to summarise this thread (correct me if I’m wrong)

1. The CG 1.3 and old 1.0 transmissions each properly bolts up to the MA series engine block (from Wrenchables tests)
2. The CG 1.3 and old 1.0 transmissions each properly mount to the K10 chassis mounts <rear & UK near-side> (from Wrenchables tests)
3. CG 1.3 and post 98 CG1.0 transmissions have a larger diameter input shaft and so need their own clutch
4. the newer / larger input shaft gearboxes take the 180mm clutch plate
5. The only thing stopping this as a straight swap solution is the flywheel interface

yes the datrats fly will let you bolt up the standard micra clutch (180mm iirc) or a bigger one (190mm i think)….

A. Will a pulsar 190mm plate? Fit the larger input shaft....even more potential for off the shelf upgrade availability)

It looks to me that everything here could be off the shelf bar the flywheel?

How about having the MA 5 bolter flywheel customised/modified to accept 1, 2 or 3 different sized clutch pressure plate assemblies?

any ideas on how practical this would be for a skilled machinist (somone who has the tools to keep everything centered properly etc. and any guesses as to much this ssort of flywheel mod would be likely to cost?

<EDIT> or may be somone similar to these chaps could edit their 6bolt patern to a five bolt?.....this one is alliminum though and is also on OZ!!
http://www.alloyrace.com/productview.php?pid=13&ppid=flywheels

<another EDIT> are our flywheels cast iron?

yes i think the flywheel is cast. if i could get a cg1.3 clutch id try drilling and tapping my spare flywheel.

however does the cg13 box deffinately fit the ma engine as regards to the mounts etc.

yes i think the flywheel is cast....

DRAT!....

...I wouldnt reccomend drilling & tappinng a casting that spins as engine speeds......might seem ok but could cause a dangerous failure if the flywheel (and most of the engine aswell as bits fly) later down the line.

I will check with my resident metallurgist on this one and get back...

otherwise its looking like a custom flywheel to do this mod

I think Wrenchable did confirm that the box fits the block and chassis in his earlier posts didnt he?

i,m sure flywheels are cast
1.0 has a shallower dish than 1.3 ( 20mm crank to clutch face 1.0/ 28mm 1.3 ) so i think earlier 1.0 spline is different position to 1.3 but bellhousing will fit
so you might have probs if you mix and match a hybrid

just a point on re-drilling flywheels- it is do-able, but I'm not sure on the details.

http://www.omicron.uk.com/sera/forum/index.php?showtopic=2923&st=0

2 thirds down that page ^^^ you can see where the fly has been machined- but note it was only a hole diameter and slight PCD shift, nothing horrendously complicated. Also the flywheel is off a TOM's built race engine, so could be a billet machined one not a cast item with a machined face.

i need someone to donate me a 1.3 k11 clutch (even if its a knackered one) so i can have a go at fitting it to my fly, then ill try lightening it in me dads lathe

superls

i tried a 1.3 clutch on a 1.0 f/w today, you would need to mount it in the lathe and score a circle at the right pcd for the 1.3 pressure plate 3 bolts, but is,nt the spline different ?

yes i believe it is, but wot a couple of us are on about doing is fitting the 1.3 g-box on our ma engines. along with the 1.3 clutch with a modded flywheel

im not 100% sure that it will work atm, i just need to get hold of a clutch so i can visual it up and see if it is at all possible.

superls

i reccon it will work, as long as the spline enter,s the clutch far enough (some copperslip would show as a marker to how far the spline "penetrates")

Back