K11 gearboxes

Are there several different ones (manual ones I mean).

My Micra is an S-reg 1275 and I'm looking to yoink the engine and box for a GTM Coupe so it needs to go into a Mini subframe. I've been told I'll need a 998 gearbox.

Reading the recent posts on CG10/13 flywheels though it sounds like it might not be as simple as getting a box from any-old 998 K11. The impression I get is that later 998's have the same box as my 1275. Is this right? Given that this was brought up in relation to shoe-horning it all into a Mini subframe I'm assuming the one I'm supposed to be looking for is smaller - what are the other differences?

Iain

yes the pre98 1.0 g/box is lighter and smaller iain (its the one without a round steel cover on the very end, with a ring of bolts holding it on) you will also need the smaller 160mm clutch and flywheel (which will only take 100hp max)

Is the clutch/flywheel issue down to what will fit in the bell-housing?

The amount of torque the clutch will handle could be an issue as I'm intending to use it in a mid-engined car so it has much more grip on the driven wheels than in the Micra so whilst dumping the clutch in a Micra will result in wheel-spin whereas doing it in the GTM will likely just overcome the clutch and make it spin. Is there a heavier duty version available?

What about driveshafts? will the existing ones fit the smaller box?

Are the gear ratios different? One of the reasons for the swap is to get away from the 4-spd on the bottom of the A-Series which tends to result in ear bleeding engine speeds at motorway speed.

Iain

no iain, the clutch and g/box spline is smaller, and i doubt you will slip the clutch even with rwd (mine is a 1348 with raised compression and fairly wild cams, on lpg, so quite torqey)
no uprated clutch to my knowledge, but my (factory) luk pressure plates have a thicker diaphram/spring than my exedy one (which slipped)
the shafts are thinner and the inner c/v has a smaller outer spline

Back