Gearbox to speed things up? Also old Y10 Turbo video I thought I'd share...

what cars came with a close ratio 5 speed? super s?

anyone know the ratios for a 4 speed ma10box and a 5 speed ma12 box so i can compare them

the 4 speed is the equivilent of the 5 speed close ratio box i think

My 5 speed wide ratio came from a super s and makes huge difference on the 1.0 engine

Arnold

Any 5 speed makes the car a lot more pleasurable to drive on long journeys, as well as not totally reaming the engine.

Pietro: You don't see many of them anymore, are you in the Lancia club? I have been a member for years.

Mark: How can you say a differant gearbox is not going to make your car go any faster? Gearing is one of the most important aspects of a performance car. Lower gearing = better acceleration and higher gearing = higher speed. And if you get it right, the best of both worlds. Thats even before you consider things like straight cut gears etc.
Even if you were to use the highest final drive with the four speed box and the lowest final drive with the five speed box there is still quite a differance.

Cheers

Amy

This is what I want "My 5 speed wide ratio came from a super s and makes huge difference on the 1.0 engine" - anyone got one for sale?

Amy: Yes my brother uses the Micra. I have had numerous Lancias including a Thema Turbo x4, a H4FWD Delta Turbo and also an Ferrari 8.32 - might buy a Dedra Turbo next if I get bored!

Mark said:
A differant gearbox is NOT going to make your car go any faster

Shows what you know.

Wide gears will make a car slower,
Too close gears will make a car slower.

Gearbox ratio is a critical part of design and depends on many factors.

Please dont talk rubbish when you have no idea what your talking about.

There is a small differance between the final ratios, in top gear, but I think it will be mainly acceleration and driveability that will improve.
I have loads of delta hf and integrale parts lying about, if there is anything you need let me know. I turned down a dedra turbo at auction last week, it sold for £20 and it was fairly clean. I sort of wish I'd bought it now.

Amy

it really means what he meant be go faster dosent it, yes it dosent add BHP to youre car but it will make it accelerate faster with shorter gears

or alternatively he may have meant faster in terms of top speed

really the gearbox needs to be matched to the power curve of the engine. Tuned engines although having more power have a narrower power band, it would be good to be able to always have a gear you could select that will bring the power band back in. On my mates S12 he drops out of power when changing to 2nd and 3rd. His max power is 6100 but a rev limit at 6500. He would like a closer box and also increase the rev limit. At 40mph he is too high in 1st for power and too low in 2nd for the power to kick him up the bum. At 50mph he can drop it in 2nd and get to 70 in little time but his 40-70 time isnt too good due to the power not coming in till at least 4500rpm.

The wide box allows you to go from 5mph to 55mph quite comfortably in second, and it doesnt take as long as the 4 speed or close ratio 5 speed box! You can hit 100mph in 4th then put it into 5th for economy! (well it drops 1000 revs or so).. The accelleration in 1st, 2nd and 3rd is really improved, and even 4th can pull quite well!

If you have a 4 speed 1.0, i really suggest ditching it for a wide ratio box! Im not sure how much effect it has on the 1.2, but my car is definitly quicker in accellerating with it. Top end is obviously the same

Personally I prefer the close ratio 5 speed but am stuck with the crap long ratio box :(

I hate going from 55 to 85 in 3rd, the gearing is too long and 5th is useless soon as there is a hill

Attachments

• 18.untitled.gif
    18.untitled.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 301
So there are three different manual K10 boxes, and the Super S had the long ratio 5 speed boxes?

So does this mean my 88 5 speed GSX is close ratio?

ahhh good old super S i actually found myself accelating up a hill last night at 75 in 5 lol on a hill that prviously my old 1.0 god bless her would slow down on :D gotta love that extra tourque grrrrrrr :D

Anyone selling a wide ratio gearbox then?

Amy: A Dedra Turbo for £20, where? I sold my Hf4wd 6 months ago so no need for Delta parts now... sell them on eBay for sure.

Mat.T: My Y10 Turbo now lives in Dublin, the irishman kept on me to sell it so I did in 2003, he took it to the rollers and said with my mods it was pulling 107bhp and 106 ft/lb of torque and there was still scope for more boosting to 130bhp! Amazing, no wonder it flew! I really miss that little car, mind you it did 20 mpg, once (when the carb failed)I did 67 miles on £30 of fuel! About 7mpg or something!!

I dont believe any 1.0's were fitted with 5 speed boxes as standard. Chances are if yours had one, its a replacement for a nackered 4 speed. Wide ratio's usually come from Super S K10's, well, thats where mine came from anyway :)

Yes, they were, the higher spec pre facelift ones had the close ratio box I believe (5 speed MA12s were long, 5 speed MA10s were short, I think anyway)

Proven wrong again! lol. You'd have thought they'd have put 5 speeds on all later models regardless of trim levels.

I would like to put a 5 speed wide ratio in my ma10 as well. Does anyone know if it fits right away, or does it need a different clutch or starter engine or cardan ?

It'l be a straight fit, however its probably best to change the clutch whilst you've got the gearbox off!

When i had my B reg Datsun/nissan micra GL...

that had a 5speed box and the higher comp engine did make a huge difference over my GFs E reg 4 speed/lower comp.

JK

Back