Gearbox problems

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Hey All

My 5 speed box has lost 3rd (it goes in but takes some serious force to come out!) and i was wondering if anyone has any rough idea how long its gonna last until the remaining gears go! Is there an approximate number of miles it'l take, or can it go at any point?

Cheers
Arnold

does it chatter when the engine is idleing but the noise goes away when u press the clutch in?

if its popping out of gear then the life of the box is going to come to an end very soon. my old one lasted about 2 days when it kept popping out of fifth and then it limped all the way home.

It only makes a slight noise and goes when you put the clutch in, but its always done that. The problem i have is once its in gear, it doesnt come out unless you seriously yank it!!! Coming out of fourth is starting to feel a little difficult too

Thanks for the link micra110, still a bit confusing but im not very mechanically minded.

Is there definately oil in it Arnold? Is it difficult to select gears or is it just coming out of gear that causes problems?

There was oil in it but that was last checked when it was fitted (about 10/15K miles ago or more now) Its only third gear it doesnt come out of, the others are fine (usable anyway!). It goes into each gear fine too, including third.

Also before it went wrong, i noticed third wasnt giving me that much power. I usually switch to it to over take cars but it felt very unresponsive and didnt have enough to get me past anything! Not long after, it started getting stuck. Im assuming the lack of power is related to the problem with my box

make sure you check that clutch cable mate! you did check it after we adjusted it didnt you? make this your first check ;)

Another one bites the dust... Arnold if you drive gearboxes hard and thrash them, (as I know you do!!) they dont last long! I'd start searching for a new box if I were you lol.

Ed

so much for a reconditioned box..... youve been had!

dont worry mate ill try get some time off soon and get it sorted for ya

Ive just arranged to have it done by Ed on wednesday.

i NEED it done and im willing to give the one in his yard a go! I cant live without my car and i cant wait for you to be free krazy.

I would take a look at the linkages under the gear stick and where they join the box, It's a bit strange to lose 3rd and 4th together.

Nothing to do with this. If it can get into 1,2,5,R the gearlinkage is fine.

Arnold said:
Ive just arranged to have it done by Ed on wednesday.

i NEED it done and im willing to give the one in his yard a go! I cant live without my car and i cant wait for you to be free krazy.

your money mate ;)

I know bud, but without my car i dont have a life and id rather get it fixed than be a boring old sod! i cant even stay in and play on the xbox now its nackered!!

And without the motor, i cant get you know where!!

on this happy note i noticed mine has jumped out of third about 3-4 times now it doesnt happen all the time... could this be the selector at fault or just the gearbox? im going to give the selector system a once over incase..

Lol, Ed said to me that its not worth getting the gear selector thing fixed, just replace the whole box.

Something to do with the way i change gears!! yeah whatever :p :p

getting changed tomorrow if ed's back from cornwall so we can open it up and have a look if we get the chance. Ed did say its probably the gear selector fork thing on the inside which has probably snapped a bit!

I cant remember exactly what he said tho :)

well the car now comes out of 3rd and 5th under decelaration :p works in 1st 2nd and 4th no problems however its starting to sound like a straight cut gear box.... getting quotes for a new box now lol coincidence or what!! i think either the sync mesh is buggered or the gear selector mechinism in the box is buggered its done 90k and probably not been treated to well so its not too bad i guess

Like the rest of the car :p

Anyway, i've pm'd you the number of the guy i was in touch with. Hope he can sort you out

"Girl Pants"

My K10s box went in 3rd then 4th just like Mr Arnold, and surprisingly enough it went when i was accelerating rather rapidly from some traffic lights. Seems to be a relatively common problem (or the MSC just cain their K10s ;))

mine hasnt lost any gears it just seems to come out of gear sometimes anyway ive located a box with 30k on it for £80 and a mechanic who will fit it for £35 bargain! :D

Hey peeps!!! I know that Arnold rev's the **** out of his car, and while most people will b in 5th he'll b happily in 3rd lol!!! Doesn't this totally ruin the box or at least the gear that's havin to work really hard?!!!! And do u think this is what caused it?!!

Sorry Arnold but had to ask!!!! :p

Aww I almost feel guilty for Arnold sitting in my warm room watching him freeze... ;)

...Almost that was ;)

Attachments

• DSC00094 (WinCE).JPG
    DSC00094 (WinCE).JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 227
Turns out the 5 speed box i had is no good. So arnold is gonna get another and we shall try again later this week.

Hopefully I have convinced arnold just to pay up and get one that we KNOW will work and have it sent here for friday. Its always same old story cheap = rubbish lol. I got this box from ebay about a year ago and never used it. still £50 down the pan, but never mind!

Another thought is however an early 1.0 K11 5speed box may be an almost straight swap.. Could be worth a try anyway.

You say simply wack a 4 speed in but i dont think thats the issue, its the amount of time it takes to remove and replace - and all that oil going to waste!!!

Im majorly ****** off but i know its not Ed's fault. Cheers mate for what you did today and hopefully we'l sort something out before the weekend

And cheers james for giving me a lift home!

Ed said:
Another thought is however an early 1.0 K11 5speed box may be an almost straight swap.. Could be worth a try anyway.

You got one lying around? as im not really in the mood for experimenting with new parts!!

Arnold said:
You say simply wack a 4 speed in but i dont think thats the issue, its the amount of time it takes to remove and replace - and all that oil going to waste!!!

Im majorly ****** off but i know its not Ed's fault. Cheers mate for what you did today and hopefully we'l sort something out before the weekend

And cheers james for giving me a lift home!
No problem mate :)

And I didn't sit in my room and watch him freeze in the end, I went out and refitted his front wheels lol

Couldnt feel my fingers by that point lol

Anyway, i've contacted a few people this morning. Ed, i badly need to speak to you!!

whats happening then mate? i went to get mine yesterday not as low millage as i hoped but its a 5 speed from a k reg 1.2ecc with 66k on it the cars been front ended so its not in there for the gearbox failing fingers crossed.. the bell housing was in perfect condition and the car in general was super super clean so obviously well cared for, got them to take it out for me at no extra cost and i can get it on monday :D

Arnolds box was sent to a gearbox refurbishment place in Redhill or somewhere near there and last I heard they'd called him this morning to say it was ready for pick up :)

James said:
Arnolds box was sent to a gearbox refurbishment place in Redhill or somewhere near there and last I heard they'd called him this morning to say it was ready for pick up :)

good news mate hope its all sort soon :)

Well alot of money later, Shes back on the road

Very impressed it took less than 24 hours to fix the box - in leatherhead james! lol, She's still as silent as ever and now back with 5 gears.

Thanks to Ed for doing all the work. Just a bummer i didnt write down my head unit settings before you started as that'l take forever to sort out!

i got the same problem. it pops out of 1st, 3rd and 5th but stil going strong. hahah

Back