Swapping gearbox

A

Arttuk

Hi folks

I'm getting my drivers licence in about 3 months (when I turn 18) and I now have two 88 1.0 K10's. One is in driving condition and the other has a twisted head and some other problems with the engine. I'm going to fix up the one in driving condition.

Anyways, the one I'm fixing has a crappy gearbox. It feels super loose and the gears are pretty hard to get on (specially reverse and 5th gear which are super hard).

How hard would it be for a car newbie to swap the gearbox? I have a micra repair book which has instructions, but I want to know if it's something I could do by myself or should I get someone else to do it..? They are both 5 speed and should be identical.

I'm hoping to get the car in good shape by the time I get my license. It needs a bit of welding due to a few rust spots and I need to swap the rear axle because it has a scary looking crack, but all in all it's in good shape (hey, it cost 300 euros after all).

Hi, the micra is a great car for learning and developing basic mechanical skills. The gearbox is about as easy to change as it gets on any car. If you have not had any experience of anything like this before I would advise getting someone to give you a hand. I would reccommend that you have some axle stands and a good socket set + breaker bar/torque wrench before you get started.

Arttuk said:
Hi folks

I'm getting my drivers licence in about 3 months (when I turn 18) and I now have two 88 1.0 K10's. One is in driving condition and the other has a twisted head and some other problems with the engine. I'm going to fix up the one in driving condition.

Anyways, the one I'm fixing has a crappy gearbox. It feels super loose and the gears are pretty hard to get on (specially reverse and 5th gear which are super hard).

How hard would it be for a car newbie to swap the gearbox? I have a micra repair book which has instructions, but I want to know if it's something I could do by myself or should I get someone else to do it..? They are both 5 speed and should be identical.

I'm hoping to get the car in good shape by the time I get my license. It needs a bit of welding due to a few rust spots and I need to swap the rear axle because it has a scary looking crack, but all in all it's in good shape (hey, it cost 300 euros after all).

are you sure the gearbox is shot have a good look under the car at the gear lincage it sound like the rubber that support the gear stick have gone ive had that prob before

bobsp16 said:
are you sure the gearbox is shot have a good look under the car at the gear lincage it sound like the rubber that support the gear stick have gone ive had that prob before

That sounds very possible aswell. Thanks, I'll have a look.

Also check that the springs are attached to the underside of the gearstick (On the linkage under the car) this gives the gear change some resistance, without the springs the shift is really loose.

on my old K10, both of the rubbers broke and the gear lever fell of the floor. I had to hold it up all the way home. It was damn heavy as well!

Slim said:
on my old K10, both of the rubbers broke and the gear lever fell of the floor. I had to hold it up all the way home. It was damn heavy as well!
Yes, the same happened to my K10, managed to get it back up temporaily with cable ties until I could get new ones, Nissan charged an arm and a leg for them!

Ne1LL said:
How is it possible to have 5 speed gearboxes in both '88 1.0 micra's

I thought only 1.2 liter engine's had these ?

Well I don't know but we've had 3 Micras (one '86 and the current 88's) and all have had 5 speed gearboxes.

i dont think nissan are two expensive on the rubber bushes for the k10...probably depends where you are in country...just dont seem to remember any shock price when i got some new ones for mine.

Id also reckon the bushes are the most likly culprit..., makes such a difference...the guy i sold the car to actually said it was a bit to tight for his liking...lol

I was having my MOT done and idly passing the time twiddling the gear knob of my five door 1990 1.0L K10... i er noticed it had 5 gears!! Wish I'd known that before the 400 mile round trip to Somerset.

the SGL 1.0l had 5 speed boxes. IIRC it was a higher compression MA10 called the MA10s which produced 55bhp over the standard 50bhp.

the one i'm getting is only a 4 speed!

anyone have any idea how much the gear linkage mount thingies are new?

Back