Gearbox oil change

smidge

Small Car Enthusiast
Site Supporter
hey guys just wondering if this process is any different from a normal K10? I know the ST has an LSD so i need to get gearbox oil suitable for it, was thinking of adding some nulon n70 teflod additive as well as its smoothed out subaru gearboxes for me in the past quite nicely

is it just a matter of draining it (warm i presume) and then refilling through the speedo cable hole?

how much fluid should it take?

hey guys just wondering if this process is any different from a normal K10? I know the ST has an LSD so i need to get gearbox oil suitable for it, was thinking of adding some nulon n70 teflod additive as well as its smoothed out subaru gearboxes for me in the past quite nicely

is it just a matter of draining it (warm i presume) and then refilling through the speedo cable hole?

how much fluid should it take?

Yeah that how it done! I put millers 75w/90 with lsd additive it takes 2 and a half litres but make sure the cars off the axle stands when refilling otherwise oil everywhere

Id assume that draining the fluid was the same as any other gearbox, but there should be a filler cap on top of the gearbox to refill it, rather than the speedo cable hole, as im pretty sure the speedo cable hole sits lower than the level of the oil anyway it would only fill up half way, and if its anything like mine it would take between 3.1 to 3.3 litres but im sure someone who owns another one like yours would be able to give you an accurate figure!

The gearbox refill point is on the front of the gearbox, the drain is usual. Fill it to the point where it nearly leaks out. The Viscous diff has its own internal fluid, you don't need LS fluid for the gearbox, LS fluid is for plated diffs. In fact I have found they wear faster and don't change so nice with LS fluid. And I say that having had 5 ST gear sets fail.

The gearbox refill point is on the front of the gearbox, the drain is usual. Fill it to the point where it nearly leaks out. The Viscous diff has its own internal fluid, you don't need LS fluid for the gearbox, LS fluid is for plated diffs. In fact I have found they wear faster and don't change so nice with LS fluid. And I say that having had 5 ST gear sets fail.

And where abouts can this internal fluid be changed?

It cant its sealed unit as far as I know. (Never needed to take one apart) I could be wrong but I am fairly sure I am right about this.

that helps thanks Ed, thought it looked different from a k11 box where the fill point is on the front side, but haven't got my head up in there properly to look

i got castrol multitrax fluid, will change it on the weekend

the subaru viscous coupling that i fitted to a kart was a factory sealed unit, a very similar design to the old viscous fan setup

Viscous
The viscous differential also has interleaved plates, and in fact works because of the viscosity (internal friction) of the silicone fluid that fills the gaps between the plates. The plates therefore do not actually touch one another. The percentage of torque transfer varies with the difference in speed between the two wheels, partly as a result of the plate design and spacing, and partly because of a physical property of silicone fluid that it experiences virtually no change in viscosity when heated. If one wheel is rotating only a little faster than the other, only a little torque transfer occurs, when there is a big difference between the speeds of the two wheels, the viscous differential will transfer up to 95 percent of the torque to the wheel with traction. Because of the difficulties in handling the silicone fluid, servicing a viscous differential can be accomplished only with special equipment. The silicone fluid is under pressure, and there is an air bubble of known (and controlled) volume included in the differential casing. Any deviation from the correct amount of pressure or air bubble volume can radically change the characteristics of the differential.

I stand corrected AGAIN,I thought it was the actual gear oil that done the job. . .I would thought my mates a few of who are mechanics would have told me that when I was buying the ####ing oil

Hahaha, I am not going to say I told you so, actually I am :p I told you! ;)

2.5 litres of stinky stinky gearbox fluid that hasn't been changed in god knows how long coming right up!!!

Back