Changing gearbox oil - speedometer drive fun

I've had this '96 K11 for a few years so I thought it was time to have a look at the gearbox oil - when I checked the level a few months ago it was on the low side and looked quite dirty so I've just changed it. I looked at previous posts about the job and in fact it all went quite smoothly. Fortunately, and to my surprise, I did have a drain plug device (which even more bizarrely I had encountered in the tool box a few months earlier, so I knew that I had one); I found that a plastic funnel with a flexible pipe section worked quite well, or at least the flexible pipe but I then had to make up the rest of the length with a two litre water bottle (dry) with its bottom cut off.
But...and it was a small but very irritating but - I had taken the speedometer drive off first followed by the actual gear drive and intended to replace it that way but no matter how I tried I could not get the end of the drive cable to re-locate in the slot in the gear and so after five minutes I took the gear section out, fitted the speedometer drive in about ten seconds and then put it all back as one.
I don't know whether that is a known irritation or not - or perhaps it was just me. Of course when I had checked the level previously I hadn't bothered to disconnect the speedometer drive and I think I'll do it that way in the future.

One thing that I had noticed in recent weeks before the change was that there was a flutter in the speedometer: the needle would vibrate about the actual speed and I did wonder whether this was wear in the cable and sleeve. I did dribble a few crops of oil up the cable to see if that might help and it did appear to go away. However I now noticed a quick flutter or so, but certainly far better than before. Is this likely to be just a wearing cable ?

Back