Gearbox Leaking

Darlo Neal

Ex. Club Member
i crashed my car the other day, and bent the wisharm, however i didnt touch the gearbox afaik... now its slowly leaking oil out and has done for the past 2 days, however the gears have felt stiff since getting the car, but it hasnt always been leaking. please tell me i dont need a new gearbox... any suggestions?

well, i took it to the garage today and turns out iv bent the chassis. the arm gave way on one side as it was rotten, however the other side was strong and the chassis took the impact. getting it sorted though :D

Im trying to replace the seal on the drive shaft as well, i have a leak that looks to be coming from the passenger side shaft.

I had a look at it the other day and wasnt really sure where to start with removing the shaft, there looked to be a big rubber housing over the connection, does that just get removed? I dont have to remove the whole shaft from the wheel do i?

cheers!
Dave

nice one, thanks Frank, things are much clearer with pics :)

So thats all a need to do (oh and drain the gearbox oil!)? the shaft should just pull out?

FYI local garage wanted £60 to do it and nissan - £119 +VAT :-O

if you jack it up high enough dave, then it wont leak any oil (the oil is about 1/2 way up the shafts) and the inner c/v is held in with a snag ring (a sharp tap on a wedge/chisel, and it will pop out) :)

Back