gearbox and engine trouble

hi all i really need help, basically my k11 is being a pain and has been since i bought her but im slowly fixing her up the last 2 problems are that when im driving down the motorway the gear stick looks like its unselecting the gear but doesnt fully and it slows itself down 5mph then goes back to driving normally so thats problem 1,,, problem 2 may or may not be connected the engine to my knowledge shows no sign of overheating but when the gear problem is goin on i hear the click of the engine management light come on and see the flick of light from it but it only flicks on for a second so thats problem 2 :/ is there anyone whose had similar or the same problems with any knowlage of how to solve the problems as i use my car for work its starting to get annoying, thanks

When you say " looks like its unselecting the gear but doesnt fully and it slows itself down 5mph"

Do you mean it feels like it;s out of gear or do you physically see the gearstick pop out of gear?

Those problems could be linked.

Perhaps a bad distributor?

Also, some paragraphs and formatting will make reading that much easier :)

hi all,

I really need help, basically my k11 is being a pain and has been since i bought her but im slowly fixing her up. The last 2 problems are that when im driving down the motorway, the gear stick looks like it's unselecting the gear, but doesnt fully and it slows itself down 5mph then goes back to driving normally.

Problem 2 may or may not be connected the engine. To my knowledge it shows no sign of overheating but when the gear problem is going on, I hear the click of the engine management light come on and see the flick of light from it but it only flicks on for a second. So thats problem 2 :/

Is there anyone whose had similar or the same problems with any knowlage of how to solve the problems? As I use my car for work i'ts starting to get annoying, thanks

hey, ta for replying, the engine management light goes on first but its a blink and you'll miss it when it happens,

then you can feel it slowing (and hear it), and if you watch the gearstick at the same moment you see it wobble as if to unselect the gear but it doesn't,

it does it at random, can be every minute to 10 mins apart, and recently it does this odd thing i've had to drive to the same place of work 3 times, and each time it happened 3 mile's or so sooner than before,,, the problem is the engine management light comes on the car slows down (like when you coast) and i've moved down a gear but its as though the gearbox isnt even attached, i've revved it, the only thing i could do was pull over to the hard shoulder switch it off and switch it on after 30 secs and she's fine

(irony is on the way back which is the same amount of time and stress it doesnt happen) LOL

thanks for the hint on the distributor would it be a good thing to have the timing checked, as i've replaced the leads and cap a year ago or sooner,
thanks again :)

Gearstick popping out can also be a sign of worn rear engine mount too. As throttle is applied the engine pivots too far.. pulling itself out of gear :)
Could also be a sign of a failing fuel pump? As it happens at motorway speeds

Gearstick popping out can also be a sign of worn rear engine mount too. As throttle is applied the engine pivots too far.. pulling itself out of gear :)
Could also be a sign of a failing fuel pump? As it happens at motorway speeds
Bad earth to fuel pump/damaged plug? Pull the plugs out and check for corrosion, damaged pins etc

thanks for the input i'll be checking all the things you've mentioned, thing is she's a lovely little car otherwise so im gutted to have done so much work and then this niggling problem ruins every drive i have in her as im just waiting for the kangarooing/juddering to start, i do think that if it persists she may be up for sale very soon :(

Back