gear shifter

camoxodka

car half done :)
okay basically i took all the plactic of the middle of the car and i want to try if it is hard to move the gear shifter and it was really stiff but i was wondering would WD40 help ?

because i like when the shifter is light and easy to pop into gear.

thanks in advance :D

it no problem it just i need to lighting it up because it is so stiff that it is starting to hurt my hand :(

also i am not bothered if i have to go under the car :)

the gear linkage metal bushes usually rust with age and seize (mostly the universal joint near the gearbox cos its exposed) so the mechanism feels very resistive.
you'll need to take out all 3 bushes, clean, wirebrush n regrease.
the universal joint bush is riveted to the selector rod so you grind the smaller riveted head off (cos the shaft is stepped, look closely at pic) to disassemble. then replace with nut & bolt.

350scn.jpg

after removing the rust layer, the bush might fit abit looser and lead to difficult 1/2nd gear engagement and rattling 5th gear.

either replace the plastic outer bush, replace/remachine a new metal bush or modify into a better ball-bearing system which I'm working on at the mo and will post a guide soon.

does the gearstick move left/right freely in neutral?
no = linkage bushes seized
yes but slotting in/out of gear is hard = either clutch dragging, cable needs tightening abit to raise bite point, or the horizontal linkage bushes are seized

both it is stiff when you move left and right and when you put it into gear :/ is it a hard job to do or will it take like 20 to 30 minutes ?

if the bolts are not rusted fused onto the metal bush, it'll only take few mins.

u remove the center heat shield then the selector rod from gearstick & gearbox
push out the bush, wipe clean with wd40 and wirebrush the rust off.
can also push a flathead onto the middle groove of the plastic bush and they pop off the gearstick/universal joint in 2 pieces to clean.
check if the riveted bush moves ok. if its free then u can leave it. if its also stiff then grind the rivet apart and clean that bush too.
regrease and reassemble.

always a good idea to clean all threads with tap & die tool then copper grease before fitting.

Back