Gear Leaver..

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Hi Guys,

So at the weekend I replaced the gear leaver return spring, it stopped the annoying clonking noise however the gear lever still doesnt return to the middle on its own, any ideas? I Sprayed all the linkages with WD40 while i was under there and it feels much smoother changing gear.

Any Ideas?
I was thinking either the spring isnt pulling hard enough or the gear box is a little stiff.

Thanks in advance :)

have you took the bushes out of the gear linkage because pollyp done that for my car and it works fine, returns, and a very smooth movement in the gear box know :)

I havent done anything like that no? all i have done is taken the heat shield off, replaced the broken spring and sprayed the linkages with WD40, what bushes need to be removed? and is it an easy job?

its usually the universal joint bushes near the gearbox end of the rod thats the culprit since its exposed to the elements and the metal insert bush rusts n seizes solid.

check blog page 6 post 278 for details

http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-6

the bush that connects the universal joint to the selector rod is sometimes riveted and sometimes bolted.

you simply unbolt out the universal joint (if its bolted to the selector), or take out the joint & selector rod (it its riveted, then grind off the rivet to reveal the bush)

punch out the rusted bushes. if they were really stiff in the PU housing, try gradually wirebrushing or softly grind the corrosion off the metal bush surface towards bare metal until the bush is just about able to rotate in the PU housing but before it becomes visibly slack or else 1/2nd gears hard to select and 5th gear rattles.

grease bushes up and reassemble. replace rivet with nut bolt if grinded off

The linkage up by the engine is what cured mine, half a turn to loosen with a spanner and the gear stick sprang back :D I have also read this was a fix for others.

Simply undo the two joints on the linkage where it meets the gearbox - clean them up, grease and reassemble. Don't overtighten the bolts when you put it back together though!

Did this to my daughters 2001 Micra - no problems since

This is the one i followed which worked;

I tried oiling all the joints under the stick. This wasn't easy as there's an exaust pipe box and heat shield in the way and I didn't fancy removing all this. No joy.

Then I moved on down the to the double joint just as the link arm goes into the gear box. Oiled all this - no joy!

Finally, in desparation, decided to undo the nuts on this double joint. One turn later and suddenly everything started moving ! I had found the problem.
Oiled it all and screwed back together - sweet as a nut !

i havent got any ramps or i would, i have a trolley jack and axle stands, so its easy enough, im planning to have a look this weekend, try and sort out the gear leaver and also i need to tighten the alternator belt slightly as it squeeks for a few seconds at start up..

Back