Gear box

simmo

Official micra geek!
i have a 1990 k10 LS. about siz months ago i changed my 4 speed gear box for a 5 speed. Unfortunatly i got the opposite effect on my car to what i wanted (slower acceleration and a worse top speed..) not very happy to say the least! anyways, my question is are all 4 speed boxes the same and if not what gear box would have origonally been in my 1990 1.0 k10 LS?

cheers

hi simmo

yes all the 4 speeds are the same,

there are however several versions of the 5 speed. one is good for accelartion the other is better for top end

having had both 1.0 on 4 speed 1.0 on 5 speed and 1.2 super s on 5 speed the 4 speed was the best for getting moving quickly but if you want good accelartion and a 5 speed the 1.2 ma12 is best suited to the job, i alwasy felt the 1.0 on a 5 speed struggled

but thats my opinion im sure some will disagree

yes i agree, there is just no power in 5th gear with the 1.0L engine. Defo need the bigger engine for the 5 speed. Im well gutted because i threw a gear box out six months ago which only had about 25k on it... ggrrr!

Anyone on here near liverpool with a low milage 4speed box??

TBH mate when driving my k10's i never used 5th unless driving economically. 1st and 2nd gears are the only gears that the k10 will truly pull in after that the lack of power will start to show

3rd does pull upto around 80! The engine sounds like it doesnt like it tho, but its possible

Back