ga16 swap info

hi guys i'm looking for some info and pics on a ga16 swap..... don't worry i have searched and got majority of the info i need from here and on Cisco's :D

but the one thing i can't seem to find is info and pics on using an electric water pump, i did read that it'd best to remove the pumps internals, how's best to do this and how/ where does the electric pump fit?

also to keep the cg13 gearbox and position of the starter will the ga14 f/w and clutch be man enough for the job?

i'm not looking at getting mad power from the car as it will be my daily

on another note i've not started yet just gathering the info first

i used a drilled out CG13 flywheel, if you are using the CG box you might as well keep the waterpump and just move the whole engine over by about 15mm, you obviously have to change all 3 mounts, but you can actually leave the chassis intact, and the mounts on the car, meaning if you wanted to put the CG engine back in it would be a straight swap.

Unlike many on here I've actually done the ga16 conversion, you don't need to usecan electric water pump, and I used original mounts apart from the gearbox mount, if you can, I'd use the ga16 gearbox.....136mph FTW (Y)

Unlike many on here I've actually done the ga16 conversion, you don't need to usecan electric water pump, and I used original mounts apart from the gearbox mount, if you can, I'd use the ga16 gearbox.....136mph FTW (Y)

What did you do gearbox mount wise? If I used the ga16 gearbox won't I need custom shafts?

down a VERY steep hill maybe lol :p
and with most waterpump conversions you remove the waterpump and fit a blanking plate, but the thermostat housing bolts onto a GA16 waterpump eh :eek: (dunno how you would get round that)

Attachments

• ga16.png
    ga16.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 636
Thanks Frank, didn't know that the thermostat was part of the water pump..... Could a narrower pulley be used to minimize the water pump fouling the chassis leg?

Thanks Frank, didn't know that the thermostat was part of the water pump..... Could a narrower pulley be used to minimize the water pump fouling the chassis leg?

its the bolts that foul i believe, not the pulley, countersunk heads will help a little eh :)
i would portopower the chassis away a bit personally

Won't that misalign the front of the car? I have no intention of cutting the chassis leg but would heating it up and bending it be a viable solution?

Won't that misalign the front of the car? I have no intention of cutting the chassis leg but would heating it up and bending it be a viable solution?

you would just be "bowing" it about 10mm, there,s plenty of clearance on the other side of the chassis and the suspension leg iirc.
any kink or cutaway will look suspect even if its structurally sound
http://nissan4u.com/parts/

its the bolts that foul i believe, not the pulley, countersunk heads will help a little eh :)
i would portopower the chassis away a bit personally

i used counter sunk bolts that give you maybe 3mm more clearance, i will try and get some pics up, but really the pully is only that far out so it lines up with the crank.

Ok so if I used countersunk bolts and soild mounts I won't have to worry about engine movement?

not quite, you should move the engine over if you can. you could probably take out 10mm from the chassis and everything would be fine, the chassis would still be strong if you welded it properly, but the engine moves about 15mm on hard corners

just read thought this http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/37724-GA16-Conversion-Advice-and-Guidance. (the link karlj posted), does anyone know how the rear mount was modded and like NeX said how will the drive shafts cope with the 20mm shift?

just needs to go 15mm not 20mm and the drive shafts will be fine, the rear mount you need to make a bracket to move the mount over.

take the engine out of your car, dump in the 1.6 and have a look, you will see straight away what has to be done to the mounts. there are lots of ways of doing it but you have to see it for yourself (its a matrix thing)

Back