GA16 or CA14...

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
hi all, i was asked to service an Almera,

i popped open the bonnet and saw straight away that is was a 1.6 and not a 2.0.... today i am going to order the parts but i was just wondering, Almeras came in 1.4 too, and when i drove the car it was much slower than my micra, so now i am wondering if it could have been a CA14 engine?

do the GA and CA engines look exactly the same? because i don't have the car with me so i cant look at the numbers,

also would it actually matter? the air filter, oil filter, oil, front brake pads etc should all be the same right?

it looked just like a GA16, it certainly wasn't a 2.0 but it was disappointingly slow and i thought the 1.6 would push an almera as well as a 1.3 can push a micra at least?

i hope so, because it was disappointingly slow and with a 1.6 ready to go in the micra, i am wondering if there is any point...
They're like 100bhp standard, but cast iron block so weighs blummin loads! I had the GA14 in my Almera, 85bhp but it never felt "slow slow" lol

They're like 100bhp standard, but cast iron block so weighs blummin loads! I had the GA14 in my Almera, 85bhp but it never felt "slow slow" lol

tell me about it, i had to lift the GA16 engine out of the back of the cabriolet by hand! i am sure the almera weighs a lot which will slow it down, but i was hoping for 30bhp more than the micra there would be a reasonable difference.

i have a GA16 sitting around and no money, so the easiest option is 1.6 at the moment

i thought about this swop, but decided the engine was too heavy. better off doing cheapo mechanical tuning to a cg13. it might not end up as fast as a properly done 1.6 but it is loud enough and picks up quick enough to make you think its a lot quicker than it actually is!

p.s. i spent £600 on my micra, have since spend another £120 on parts (including £55 on greenstuffs and £30 on fpr and the rest on HT lead and sparks) and its faster than an e36 bmw 320. they're supposed to have 150bhp standard!

their quite heavy the almera's tho if it was disappointingly slow it maybe something else i drove a 1.6 one down for its mot a while back and i fought it was quite pokey. my old sunny before i got the gti was a 1.4 and i turbo'd that and was very happy with the performance even tho the turbo came off a isuzu trooper 2.8 lol. i did have a couple of issues when it came onto boost it spat like hell and i think that was down to the maf so id recommend getting a 300zx maf or something if your going to turbo. nothing wrong with the ga's just like has been said their heavy lol.

their quite heavy the almera's tho if it was disappointingly slow it maybe something else i drove a 1.6 one down for its mot a while back and i fought it was quite pokey. my old sunny before i got the gti was a 1.4 and i turbo'd that and was very happy with the performance even tho the turbo came off a isuzu trooper 2.8 lol. i did have a couple of issues when it came onto boost it spat like hell and i think that was down to the maf so id recommend getting a 300zx maf or something if your going to turbo. nothing wrong with the ga's just like has been said their heavy lol.

maybe, but it was like, i put it in first gear, foot to the floor and you would expect a back in the seat feeling, but there was nothing, it just pulled away like a moped. it sounded healthy enough, but maybe after a good service it will be better. i have all the bits for the service now so when i get the car back i will do it all up and give it another try. i am sure in the micra it will be better than the 1.3, but i don't think it will be much better.

i had a 1.6 micra a while back and that was like a rocket, that thing really shifted, but then it was fully stripped, and an open exhaust.

Back