'Fumes' in Cabin

CMF_Thomas_Scanlon

» CMF Member
Hello Guys.

Haven't posted in a while.

Could somebody tell me how to troubleshoot the Crankcase Ventilation system on the Micra. It is obviously venting to atmosphere, as when car is stopped with Heater fan on and outside ventilation chosen, there is a heavy smell of half burnt hydrocarbon which is wafting into cabin. Obviously while stopped, there is no ambient ventilation into engine bay, thus the blow-by is being drawn in. It is quite nasty, and getting worse, stinging eyes, etc. Also dangerous to health. I am giving the car to my Dad, so I want to make sure it is at least safe to drive.

I had a look around the pcv system, but couldn't seem to find anything loose, or out of order. Then again I'm not so familiar with it either. Has anybody had this problem, and/or have the good word as to how to remedy it?

Regards,
Tom.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Sure its not unburnt fuel?

Or if it is indeed crankcase gasses you can smell (similar to exhaust gas but with a more bitter scent) there's a few areas whhich could be causing the problem.

One I can think of is a blocked airfilter, little rubber bend hose connecting the pcv outlet on cam cover to the airbox could be cracked, and there might have been one other pipe from the crankcase up to the cam cover which could be leaking/cracked.

In the mean time I suggest you adjust your blower motor's air selection to recirulate (the one that has the arrow in the little picture doing a semi circle inside the cabin of the car) and keep a window open at all times.

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
Breather fumes from the crank case dont normally sting the eyes. Sounds more like fuel. Remember you only need a small amount of fuel to generate a lot of smell.
Check around the injectors for a redish stain. Check fuel lines & filter.

Also Check around the tank. There is a plastic tank on top of the fuel tank (its for evapourative emissions), check to make sure it isnt cracked.

When I first bought my micra I had the same problem with a strong smell that would sting the eyes at idle, aswell as going around corners fast. Found the plastic tank had two large cracks in it. A bit of q-bond fix the problem. A year later & still no smell. Good luck.

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
Snoopy WROTE:

"Breather fumes from the crank case dont normally sting the eyes. Sounds more like fuel. Remember you only need a small amount of fuel to generate a lot of smell.<BR>Check around the injectors for a redish stain. Check fuel lines &amp; filter. <BR><BR>Also Check around the tank. There is a plastic tank on top of the fuel tank (its for evapourative emissions), check to make sure it isnt cracked. <BR><BR>When I first bought my micra I had the same problem with a strong smell that would sting the eyes at idle, aswell as going around corners fast. Found the plastic tank had two large cracks in it. A bit of q-bond fix the problem. A year later &amp; still no smell. Good luck.

thread digger i know... quick guestion tho

how do you get to the evaporative tank? ive got the same problem, chenged the plugs, the injectors look good and the smells comming from the rear end. its fuel for sure just trying to figure out where it is.

do you have to drop the fuel tank or can you go thru the car?

thanks.
john.

Back