Advice needed - Cabin vibrating in neutral

CMF_Martos

» CMF Member
Hello! I'm in Scotland and the temperature was minus 8 today when I was driving. Anyway, when the car was in neutral, say at the lights, the engine was really vibrating, shaking through the whole car - almost as if you were at the biting point without gas and the car was about to stall. Anyway, clutch in and the vibrating lessened, into gear and it went away. There was no problem when driving. What i noticed though, was that if I was sitting in neutral and I tipped the gas, the vibration stopped instantly. Don't know if has anything to do with how cold it is but any suggestions on what to check? Ta.

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Does it feel as if it's ideling fast or slow or about right. If everything is in order then 100rpm one way or the other should not make too much difference.
As was suggested maybe engine or gearbox mounts are worn/loose or maybe a loose muffler.

CMF_Martos

» CMF Member
Don't have a rev counter but it feels the same. All the vibration disappears if I tip the gas, even in neutral. Clutch is quite high and have been meaning to adjust cable, could that have any effect?

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
the IAV should open at cold start and increase cold idle at 1200rpm then lower down to 750rpm once warmed up. if its not doing that then the IAV maybe stuck which causes the cold idle to be too low that it barely runs and vibrates madly. once warmed up it runs normal.

suggest try cleaning the IAV in front of TB before adjusting the idle screw behind the TB

CMF_1300cc

» CMF Member
asdame WROTE:

"the IAV should open at cold start and increase cold idle at 1200rpm then lower down to 750rpm once warmed up. if its not doing that then the IAV maybe stuck which causes the cold idle to be too low that it barely runs and vibrates madly. once warmed up it runs normal.

suggest try cleaning the IAV in front of TB before adjusting the idle screw behind the TB

+1

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
its cold down here near Liverpool , we have had some -17c , but I did notice today in the -7c , that with the heater fan running and the engine still warming up that the sounds mixed and sounded really "boom like" , the car was "humming" , even the exhaust sounded loud , nowt wrong with the car but with these cold temps it may be worth waiting to see what happens with your car in warmer times ?

Back