Electrical woes! Strange loud buzzing noise when sidelights are selected!

Hi guys,

I think that one of the fuseboxes in my girlfriends micra 1.0 1996 k11 is suffering from age and corrosion! Let me just outline the symptoms:

All extenal lights work apart from driver side main beam and driver side full beam. Dashboard lights lighting up the instrument panel do not work (They worked fine up until today).

Buy the most intriguing problem is that when you turn the light switch to "sidelights", there is a horrible buzzing sound as if there is some kind of short in the circuit somewhere. This is accompanied by the blue "full beam" dashboard light, which also ramains illuminated when main beam lights are in use. The full beam dash switch is on whenever any of the lights are on... Full beam and dipped beam on the passenger side both work but on the driver side they do not, just a sidelight appears illuminated. Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

I have not tried replacing the drivers side bulb yet so that will be the first port of call... But I'm guessing the problem could be a little more complex than that due to the other symptoms that we seem to be getting... I know for a fact that there has been a problem with the fuse box in the past because we have already had to repair it once.

Any ideas would be great!

If it's not the bulb, check the under the bonnet fuse box as corrosion may have taken over.

Your headlight relay might need replacing. I had the full beam and loud buzzing when mine needed replacing

If it's not the bulb, check the under the bonnet fuse box as corrosion may have taken over.

As mike says. You will either find corrosion in the fusebox which is in front of the battery on the fuses for the headlight circuits and/or the 3 pin H4 headlight bulb connectors will be corroded or burned out/melted. It's a wiring job and unless one is lucky, this happens to pretty much all K11's at some point in their lives.

The giveaway is the light which isn't working, usually that one has the corroded fuses and a burned out headlamp connector, (if it's gone that far) and will need a replacement, which can be easily sourced online.

Back