fuel pump

superls

K10 Tuner
hi boys and girls, im here with yout another problem.

i need to increse the fuel pressure of the standard fuel pump to around 10psi or get another mechanical one off of another car and 'retro fit' it or get an electric one.

im not 100% sure how the standard pump works so unsure if it can be turned up?
had a quick look for different mechanical pumps but not seen anything with enough pressure.
also had a quick look at electric pumps and there seems to be 2 main types, upto about 5psi and then jumps right up to 3-5 bar (40 - 70 ish psi) with not alot inbertween.

i suppose what i could do is get a high pressure one say 3 bar and then get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator but thats seems to be the most expensive way of doing things.

also on an unrelated note, how is the boost pressure controlled on a turbo? i.e. limit it to 5psi or similar?

cheers

superls

how about using the stock pump as the lift pump and fitting an electric one in series ?.
and the wastegate controls the boost, i believe

frank i was wondering if that would work but was a little unsure, i wasnt sure if the output of the electric pumps was regulated to the pressure regardless of there inlet pressure? but i suppose it could work

so if the wastegate controls it, is it adjustable? if so how?

p.s. if you hadnt gathered im thinking of going down the blow through carb turbo setup rather than the draw/suck through we discussed before.

superls

i think a 5psi electric would be lacking if it had to drag the fuel up from the tank, but if mounted near the wipers, and pre-boosted by the stock pump, it may deliver 8 or more psi ? :)
wastegate actuating rod, ?

frank, that could just work. only thing is there like £35 so if it doesnt id be out £35 thats why im a little reluctant.

it may be adjusted be lengthening / shortening the actuating rod?

frank, that could just work. only thing is there like £35 so if it doesnt id be out £35 thats why im a little reluctant.

it may be adjusted be lengthening / shortening the actuating rod?

yeh, i know, i priced an old school mini one the other week, £70 :eek:, and they,re thin on the ground in breakers nowadays.
i think an injection pump will keep blowing carb gaskets (even with a p/r/v) fwn.
you need someone more knowlegable on the boost info, but i think a very low boost is hard to achieve

May i ask why?

to which question, the pump or the boost?

i need to increse the pump pressure because when running a blow through carb turbo setup (frank can explain this better) but from what ive read you nead to at least equalise the fuel pressure in the float bowl with the boost that you want to run, i.e. if you want to run 5psi of boost you need at least 5psi fuel pressure so the fuel still moves in the correct way.

and i wanted to know how to alter the boost so when i get a turbo i can control the boost and ensure i buy a turbo that is adjustable, if you catch my drift?

personally, I would fork out for a beefy outside of tank pump and regulator...for the difference in price you will be able to reuse it on most of your projects (some years in the future?) ...best value long term...and no questions or marginal thoughts to stress about...you will KNOW its capable and if theres any probs you will most likely be able to eliminate teh fuel delivery as far as teh regulator

sounds like an interesting project :)))

I need to run a standard k11 pump - or aftermarket pump for the transplant project I'm working on. I am feeling 60:40 that the cg13 pump will go in the k10 tank without issue. Very interested to know what solution you come up with - as it is likely to be of use to me - and vice versa no doubt. Short of the figaro engine, maybe the r5 gt turbo design might be of some help?

Back