Fuel Pump busted. Ideas?

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Hey guys,

My fuel pump has kicked it in. I recently got a tank of fuel from Caltex (woops.) and about 50km later, its died. Does that sound about right for the fuel to kill a pump?

So im thinking, Its either the crappy fuel, or some sort of random wiring mistake. But the fuel pump is definitely not working. Is it worth getting a 2nd hand one? or a new one... I really dont want to spend lots for a freakin pump :/

Thx.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Haha what it is it with caltex fuel killing micras...

Yeh mate I believe brand new from nissan the pumps are ridiculous prices. You're definately better off going with a cheaper second hand unit and risking having to replace it in 6 months if it dies again.

Also you'll need to replace the fuel filter AFTER you've run the new pump (push any crap in the lines into the filter). As fuel pumps wear out they can start shedding metal into the fuel lines and as a result your filter will probably be clogged.

Will also be worth draining your tank and giving it a clean out along with basic saftey checkup make sure its not cracked anywhere (common on plastic tanks as they get older).

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
I gave up. Having a real crappy day and just decided to throw in the towel. Its at the mechanics now. But ill probably be without a car for the weekend :(

It was funny. Going out to meet a girl, turn key.. car doesn't start. So I get angry and grab all my tools. As soon as I unlatch the bonnet, it starts tipping down with rain. After getting nice and soggy and pissed off, I close the bonnet and give up. The rain stops! So i check the forums for ideas and people are saying fuel pumps go from $250-900 :(

Long story short, The girl i was meant to meet is coming over tonight instead. At least its going to finish on a good note :)

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Thanks everyone :)

Ive got a few options now, and last night was <Borat> "vary naice" </end Borat>.

Everyone is so helpful :) Thanks all! You guys made my day.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Guys...
The mechanic said there are 2 different sizes fuel pumps for the Micra. What the heck? He also said mine was like... 58mm or 51mm as compared to 38mm. And quoted me $600 to get a new one fitted.

Luckily, Im getting 2's old/near-new pump from Iam.666 for cheap :) But, just curious as to how common the sizes are and what model the diferent sizes came from.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Fuel pump installed, fixed, and paid for.
Total cost $100 pump + $150 installation.

Pretty pricey, but still ALOT cheaper than the quoted $600.

I tell ya what. I was driving my mums Toyota Echo around for a couple days and was hating it. Jumped back in my Micra and noticed a much better drive and just felt so much nicer. But I did like the power steering...

CMF_EVLGTI

» CMF Member
The GTiR one would be fine as its the FPR that regulates the fuel. bugger paying $150 for some one to fit it. it only takes about 30-45minutes.
When I upgrade my GTiR Fuel pump it didnt make it run rich.

Back