Fuel pump unavailability for K11

CMF_micragirl

» CMF Member
I don't understand a Nissan dealership doing a dumbass thing like that...there would be a warranty on the part and the work, I don't plan on keeping the car for much longer, it's been an awesome little car, but I don't need all this stress and confusion when something goes wrong. Time to upgrade in the New Year.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Agree with snoopy - mate had that happen with his Pulsar. Driving down the M1 at 120km/hr and the timing chain snaps. Engine compression locks and front left hand wheel locks up...

He managed to pull over without parking around the largest concrete pole the car could find.

Anyway that aside for $250 it sounds more like the nissan guys are going to replace the timing chain tensioner. Which is a smart thing to do. The revised timing chain tensioners nissan has available now are light years better than the originals which ALWAYS seem to allow too much slack.

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Bahaha Tom... You're priceless

Its not compression lock that happens when the timing chain snaps

Its called the mashing-together of pistons and valves that actually stops the engine

But yeah, $250 is pretty damn sus. Make sure you find out exactly what they are doing for that $250 as they might only replace a tensioner or two. You could possibly get away with replacing the tensioner for another couple of years, but I'd highly advise doing things once and doing them right

Sean

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Sean are you wearing your pink shirt? You know I know what usually happens when a chain or belt snaps.

I should have explained!

When they pulled the motor apart it WAS compression lock.

None of the valve or pistons were damaged (they had hit though, there were markings on the pistons). The rocker arms had actually popped off the lifters when the chain snapped. All the valves were closed before the pistons could kiss them. How did this miracle happen? He wasnt using standard cams. :)

I dont think a CG13 owner would be as lucky though...

CMF_micragirl

» CMF Member
Phone call this arvo revealed that the 02 sensor/meter that came up from Melbourne is the wrong one...turns out that they can't get one for my car since its a manual...I fail to see what the difference would be but now we're off to the wrecking yard in Brisbane for the part which apparently can't be separated from the throttle body so I have to buy the whole thing even though I don't want it. I'm seriously concerned about the expertise of someone ringing and ordering a part for a car and not making sure its the right one, especially when its a Nissan Service Department. Still have no car, it's been almost a month now.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
so which is it?

You've said airflow meter at the start..and then in your 2nd last post youve said o2 sensor?

they are two totally different things here..one sits in the throttlebody..the o2 sensor is on your exhaust manifold..

CMF_micragirl

» CMF Member
Sorry but I get confused when these technicians at Nissan call it one thing then switch and call it something else. My air flow meter is shot so I guess the next time he calls it an 02 sensor I can be a smart alec and correct him? Oh and by the way, my timing belt is being replaced with a brand newy for $250-00 and he said that if any of you rock up there for the same job, he'll look after you for that price too.

CMF_micragirl

» CMF Member
Oh guess what...I got my car back...yay!!!! And she is running good as ever (thank you Alex B). But not after a big showdown at the dealership. We dropped the air flow meter/throttle body off at 7.30am Monday morning, was told it would be an hour and a half - two hour job. At 11.30am my car was still sitting there - untouched. S0...I walked around the front to the new car section and requested a word with the big boss, who came out and shook my hand and asked me what the problem was. After explaining my ordeal and that they had had my car for a MONTH! he offered me his own brand new Mazda 3 (yuck to drive)tons of apologies, and ordered the service department to have my car ready, detailed and with an itemised account by 3pm or there would be hell to pay. So, anyway, got her back all clean and running perfect but dead empty of fuel...I dread pulling up to a bowser now after what's happened lately, but she won't run without it so....Thanks to everyone on micra.com who offered support and suggestions, I very much appreciate it.
Cheers from Micragirl :))

CMF_micragirl

» CMF Member
PS...the micra has a timing chain, not a timing belt...we decided not to touch it. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.
The likelihood of it breaking are very remote from what I understand, they get noisy and only then do you attend to them...any thoughts?

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
Thats fantastic news, good too hear you're back on the road and the throttle body works...heh i should change my member name too AFMicra...lolz. Correct on timing chain, if its not noisy when engine is warm don't touch it. Regurading buying fuel, i try too fill up at 'high traffic' petrol stations, least i know they have fresh fuel in their tanks that way. I'm a BP person myself,

Alex

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Well done micragirl. Sometimes you have to jump up and down to get action.Just hope ypou get your bill apid by the service station/fuel company. Do not take no for an answer.
If the Nissan dealer says it was ****e fuel get it in writing from them and then attack the service station/ fuel company.
Good luck.

CMF_micragirl

» CMF Member
I contacted the service station manager involved, he palmed me off (as expected) to his supplier, saying that "he's just selling the product, he doesn't make it"...so...faxed all the applicable paperwork off to Caltex Australia, which has been forwarded to their claims department for consideration. Keep you posted as to the outcome...

Micragirl

Back