Hot Fuel Pump !!

My son has a 1993 K11 which is blowing the fuel pump fuse. I've bought a replacement pump, but thought I'd run it before fitting into the tank. I've run it semi submerged in parafin for about 20 minutes (to bed it in as it were??). I was amazed at how hot the pump got (about 50 Deg C)!!!

So my questios are;-
1/ Does this pump run continuously once the ignition is on, or does it run "on demand" when the management system calls for fuel??

2/ Also as the pump, when on test, wasn't submerged (as it would be when in the fuel tank), has this allowed the temperature to rise so much?? i.e. does the fuel in the fuel tank keep the pump cool??

3/ Have I bought a dodgy pump??

Thanks all.

frank

Club Member
theonionma

i,m not surprised they get hot, with a fuse rating of 15a, they probably draw about 100w, and i think they run continuously :)

superls

K10 Tuner
well if there fused at 15A the theoretical maximum that it could draw is 180W (12v x 15A). so id say that it could get hot if it were running contionusly.

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
you'd think that you wouldn't want something running that hot right next to fuel would you?

did you find out why the first pump was blowing fuses? there may still be a fault in the wiring, but it will only blow the fuse when the pump burns out

solarice

Ex. Club Member
nex have you seen the pump connections ? they are screw fastened bare ended wires that float around in the petrol thats in the tank...but its obvioulsy safe, i guess.

NeX

Club Member
nex have you seen the pump connections ? they are screw fastened bare ended wires that float around in the petrol thats in the tank...but its obvioulsy safe, i guess.

lol ok i didn't know that, i am sure it is more than safe because safety is nissans top concern.....i hope lol

NeX

Club Member
yeah im sure its fine :suspect: lol.

but i agree youd assume that youd want cold items in the fuel tank :)

yea if no other reason than to stop the fuel evaporating, you want it nice and cold so its dense. so the idea that the first thing it goes through is a 50 degree fuel pump is a stupid idea....

hmmm a chance for a performance gain me thinks ;)