Frozen locks

Ash

Ex. Club Member
Hi im looking for a bit of advice, please. I've got a 1998 micra with a factory fitted central locking. This stopped working a while ago so im using the key to lock & unlock which was fine however the past few weeks its been really icey & i can't get into the car cause the locks are frozen, can't even get the key in the hole to even try some mornings. Other times when i can get the key in to turn it, it unlocks then locks itself. Btw its being kept outside not in a garage.

Is this a know problem in micras? i know practically nothing about cars so if its to be fixed its a garage that gonna do it, will it cost me an arm & a leg to sort out?

i usually shove the key in and out while dripping engine oil on to it ash (this will work loads of oil into the lock and stop it freezing up) :)

You can also simply use a lighter... heat the key, or the metal part of the lock directly (I can't remember whether the micra lock surround is metal or plastic).

It shouldn't take long to thaw (i.e. a few seconds bursts), and it won't damage your paintwork if you don't hold it for long against the paint.

Done that many times when I couldn't get into my Mini in the winter.

(Just a note: heating the key doesn't work if you can't get it into the lock in the first place, it just works well if the lock is frozen so you can't turn the key inside)

(Just a note: heating the key doesn't work if you can't get it into the lock in the first place, it just works well if the lock is frozen so you can't turn the key inside)

how do you know have ya tried it? lol :suspect:

Yep I've tried it. Best way to unfreeze a lock's internals is to get a spare key that's all metal, put it into the lock, and then simply heat the exposed end of it with a lighter.

As said by a few others, lubing your locks will stop them icing over in the first place.

you might need some tomorrow shaun :eek: (they,ve forecast some snow for you aint they)
yes they have but i work nights so the locks should be ok however i dont have my thermostat untill tomorrow grr bloody halfords so no heating! :down:

i had my boot locks freeze and i have had the actual door freeze shut, but i take some deicer spray with me to the car and its all good.

not had a problem with the central locking tho, it alway seems to unlock the car even if i can't open the door lol

Thanks guys but i've still no luck. tried the engine oil in the locks & the next day i got the key in but couldnt turn it. Also tried heating the key but couldn't turn it, it just wouldnt budge.

My brother seems to think it might be moisture in the motor bit that they key would make the door unlock with, is that a possiblity since the central locking is knackered or is the lock bit a sealed unit? if the central locking was replaced would that fix it perhaps d'ya think?

mine were frozen this morning, the key would go in but wouldnt turn. I just heated the metal part of my key with a lighter for about 10 seconds then put it in the lock. after a few seconds it unlocked easily.

Hi im looking for a bit of advice, please. I've got a 1998 micra with a factory fitted central locking. This stopped working a while ago so im using the key to lock & unlock which was fine however the past few weeks its been really icey & i can't get into the car cause the locks are frozen, can't even get the key in the hole to even try some mornings. Other times when i can get the key in to turn it, it unlocks then locks itself. Btw its being kept outside not in a garage.

Is this a know problem in micras? i know practically nothing about cars so if its to be fixed its a garage that gonna do it, will it cost me an arm & a leg to sort out?

is the same thing happening to the passenger lock aswell?

sometimes i can get the passenger door open if its the weather isnt too severe icey, but sometimes it wont open either. If i do get in the passengers it opens the back doors too but not the drivers.

sometimes i can get the passenger door open if its the weather isnt too severe icey, but sometimes it wont open either. If i do get in the passengers it opens the back doors too but not the drivers.

sounds like more of a central locking fault than frozen locks to me

do you know if the central locking a fairly easy thing to get fixed or is it a huge job, cause i either need to get it fixed or get a new car. Whatever it is im gonna have to wait till after xmas & new year cause i've got no time the now to really do anything

do you know if the central locking a fairly easy thing to get fixed or is it a huge job, cause i either need to get it fixed or get a new car. Whatever it is im gonna have to wait till after xmas & new year cause i've got no time the now to really do anything

have ya got lecy windows and if so did they work when the central locking stared to play up ?

Yeah electric windows & they still work fine, although once or twice the glass has been a bit wonky going back up but it sorts itself out if you put them up & down again a few times

Yeah electric windows & they still work fine, although once or twice the glass has been a bit wonky going back up but it sorts itself out if you put them up & down again a few times

thats ok then, and when you do get into the car it starts ok? if so i may be wrong but it could be the central locking cignal control module, and i think it located round about where ya heater card is

thats ok then, and when you do get into the car it starts ok? if so i may be wrong but it could be the central locking cignal control module, and i think it located round about where ya heater card is

the car starts first time everytime always, so would the central locking signal control module if its knackered stop me from being able to make the lock work & get into the car if its too cold outside, i take it its the brain of the central locking kinda thing then. if thats the problem i just need to get a new one & stick it in it should be fixed i take it? we talking about 50 quid from the scrappy for that kinda thing?

WATCH YOURSELF WITH THIS!
I have a 1998 GX 1.3i 3 door.
My drivers side elec window was doing this, turned out as a problem with the runners. It ended up getting so bad the window locked up and basically exploded from the tension. Had to buy a new window and mechanism for it.

I've just suffered from the central locking problem as my driver's door doesn't stay open [first car, bought used] and the central locking locked after i turned the key in the ignition. So i lean in, turn key, lean out to begin de-icing and boom i'm locked out of my car with the engine running.. currently waiting for breakdowns service and i'm supposed to be in work in 5 minutes >.<

if your electric windows are a bit sticky up and down, use silicon spray in the runners!!

will your key open the boot lock?

WATCH YOURSELF WITH THIS!
I have a 1998 GX 1.3i 3 door.
My drivers side elec window was doing this, turned out as a problem with the runners. It ended up getting so bad the window locked up and basically exploded from the tension. Had to buy a new window and mechanism for it.

I've just suffered from the central locking problem as my driver's door doesn't stay open [first car, bought used] and the central locking locked after i turned the key in the ignition. So i lean in, turn key, lean out to begin de-icing and boom i'm locked out of my car with the engine running.. currently waiting for breakdowns service and i'm supposed to be in work in 5 minutes >.<

I feel you pain with the locking the keys in the car & the engine running :) My car did that to me i had everything, keys, phone, purse, bag the lot inside thankfully my mum was in that day. 3 hours waiting on the RAC, the upside was it hardly used any petrol, micras are so economical :) I now open a couple of doors so as not to ever get locked out again, i learned that day.

will your key open the boot lock?

Usually, but again it depends how cold it is. The other day it was parked outside & when i got back to it i couldnt get the key in the boot. That same day when i was unlocking the drivers side i could feel the lock was starting to get a bit stiff but it did open ok. The worry is that some morning im gonna be able to get into the car & its gonna get really icey cold while im out & im gonna be stuck somewhere cause the locks wont work.

Do this when the locks aren't frozen, or defrost with warm water first

Dip the key in vasaline and load the locks up with vasaline, work the key in and out and lock and unlock several times, wipe off any excess and clean up your key. It always worked well for me.

Usually, but again it depends how cold it is. The other day it was parked outside & when i got back to it i couldnt get the key in the boot. That same day when i was unlocking the drivers side i could feel the lock was starting to get a bit stiff but it did open ok. The worry is that some morning im gonna be able to get into the car & its gonna get really icey cold while im out & im gonna be stuck somewhere cause the locks wont work.

your keys not bent or twisted abit is it? just a thought?

Do this when the locks aren't frozen, or defrost with warm water first

Dip the key in vasaline and load the locks up with vasaline, work the key in and out and lock and unlock several times, wipe off any excess and clean up your key. It always worked well for me.

i've tried this but still no joy :)

your keys not bent or twisted abit is it? just a thought?

nah the key looks fine, im gonna try & get to a garage this week & have someone look at it see what the problem is. Thanks for all your help :grinning: I'll let you know what they say

Is it remote central locking? If so it could be the coin cell in the key fob.

If it's not RCL then there probably isn't a motor in the driver's door, hence why that door won't unlock from the passenger side. I don't think mine has one, but then I can't test it because my key doesn't fit the passenger door! :eek:

BG

Hey guys car went into garage yesterday to get looked at.

This is what the sevice sheet says:

Checked for O/S/F N/S/F door locks inop, removed O/S/F door panel and inspected. Removed lock and actuator assy. Found internal fault with door lock actuator. Requires new. This is causing N/S to have poor operation.

Im gonna take it to a local garage get them to sort it now i know exactly whats wrong, thanks for all your help guys, muchly appreciated :) So glad i get to keep my wee micra she CAN be fixed :)

Back