Front speakers (please confirm)

M

Melanie

Am I correct in thinking the front speakers are 17cm, with a max depth of 54mm?

If I go to Halfords and buy some to that spec will they be easy to fit?

TIA

ps. 2002, 2 speaker car.

Thanks!

Next question, how on earth do you remove the door card (or whatever its called) ???

I pulled all the clips off around it and removed the clip on the window handle but there seems to be something holding it on behind the arm rest/ handle.

You need to unscrew the screws found in the handle, then pop out the rear section of the door mechanism handle and carefully prize the door card off from the top, dunno if you have electric windows but if not be careful when taking off the window winder coz theres a little clip in that which keeps it all together and can easily pop out and be lost forever.

look at the underside of the armrest there should be 2 large + shaped screws, take them out and unclip and it should come streight off, :) chie

Manual windows.

Had another look and there are NO screws whatsoever :(

Tried to prise off the top of the arm rest thing but its well stuck on (if not screwed from the back).

i use to have a 2001 model k11

to remove the door cards

1) using a flat screwdriver prise the arm rest off slowly.
2) using a small flat screwdriver prise off the butterfly clip that holds the window winder
3) Take off the plastic baking to the door handle
4) Undo the 3 screws you can now see ( 2 under arm rest and 1 behind the door handle)
5) Slowly undo the poppers holding the door card down. When this is done pull the bass to a 30 degree angle and the lift upwards. You may need to pull it to one side as it will hit the wing mirror surround.
6) DONE

Note to make things abit clearer - to take off door card do as mike said but #4 u dont have to take off the door handle screw :)
("the 2 screws under arm rest thing" mike said are actually inside the arm rest under the #1 cover u just taken off)

ps. i never did do #1 slowly or with screw driver just grab the back end n rip it upwards lol

you will have to get some MDF and attach it to the door card though (12mm MDF should do it) as the speakers will be deeper than the factory ones. :) thats what i had to do with my components anyway :)

usedcarimage3wa0.jpg

sorry need to bump this thread... whats the maximum space though? behind the plastic grille?? say you use the 54mm but need more space and fit a spacer... what depth does it allow with a spacer?? So it fits nice and neat behind the plastic.

cheers.

Glue it......

no realy i dont know, but im sure they are either 16.5 or 17cm, and pioneer make a set that are very thin, also so do jbl and alpine....

Are these the custom fit Pioneers?

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/223.html

How about these little beauts? as a front speaker upgrade... I couldnt find a DLS which was not a co-axial and which had the required mounting depth but look:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/dls-226-ex-demo-p-3362.html?cadid=950c9765a5d4dce21c11f192bf000c93

is that a home made cross over??

What would be best for the front? the JBL? Alp? any model numbers...

Want to power them off the Alp HU. Dont get me wrong the factory fit speakers do work well and sound good but crank it up half way and on a thumping song they start to distort...

Back