FR micra.

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
FR micra.

well... been looking into this for about 2 years, and starting to get a bit more serious over the last few months. want to make a micra FR, im sure alot of people have thought about it and decided its going to be too much work or decided to go with a car already FR. but i'd love nothing more in life than having a micra as an FR. ive got a supra which i slide so before you go jsut get something bigger... i already got it :p

engine.
been looking into doing the SR20de conversion, a few mounts fab'ed up shouldnt be a problem, not running front drive shafts so thats not going to be a factor either. ive beeen looking at some of the SR20 AWD box's and theres a good possiblity that the drive shaft should line up with the tunnel.

20-473-0.jpg

if that doesnt work ill go the N/S position and build a custom engine X memeber. thinking Sr20, 4age or even a rotory as there quite small engines. (prob not a rotor cuz yeah :S) running it N/S would make the it easyer interms of the shifter not being in the way.

Rear end.
i went down and measuered my spare durm axle. 1420 drum to drum... this is awesome! an AE86 T serise is 1400 drum to drum... Ke30 to ke55's are 1355 even. so T serise would be the goer. desgin some new mounts to suit the micra ones and maybe run a coilover unit so theres no need for a spring seat.

problems i forsee so far.
~fuel tanks in the way of the drive shaft.
~the front hubs are held in by the drive shafts???
~havving the tail shaft, exhaust and shifter all in that tiny tunnel.
~when complete having to much awesome!

CMF_crumpets

» CMF Member
I thought about the 13B option as they are so small, but it would require so much custom work.

That being said it would be cool as hell.

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
i think installing one would be pretty easy. the Xmemebers would be most of the custom work and figuring out how to attach the xmember to the micra would be the hardes bit. but they are pretty heavy tho.

ive also thought about a suzuki F6a turbo. 660cc turbo already in FR layout and you can get a bit of power out of them but i dont know how the gearbox would hold up to the abuse of slide car and im very keen to have this as a NA and looking almost as stock as possible i.e engine EW facing.

that being said - suzuki cappchino sliding!

nothing about this will be bolt on, im prepared for that :D

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
I know i've posted this a couple of times in the past, but if only you could go speak with this guy and have a look at his setup:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SR18DET with N/S mounting for the engine as far as I know. For something like that, major cutting of the firewall would take place I imagine.

Or you could always rear mount a bike engine...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If you do go N/S, the further you can mount the engine back relative to the front wheels, the better. In almost any case you'd be making up a custom crossmember for the engine.

A rotary like a 12A or 13B would be great given their size, but like above you'd be cutting into the firewall/trans tunnel massively to fit the box. With the fuel tank removed, I wonder how difficult it'd be to fit a rear-mounted gearbox from.. well whichever cars came with transaxles and fit the dimensions.

I would say the least painful way might be to go the GTi-R setup, as it gives you 4WD and keeps it in the family (and there's likely to be more support available for the conversion).

There's always the option of looking at the 4WD ANK11 but finding details about it on here are scarce at best and i'm pretty sure no one in the UK would know anything about it or have imported one. The only guy that might know something that I can think of is nz_aj, as they may have gotten some of those ones in NZ. That said, I don't know what the floorpan or anything like that looks like in the ANK11 but if you're serious about doing it, you might want to have a look into it further. The 4WD system wouldn't be very strong if you're planning on turbo'ing it or whatever but just to see how Nissan pulled it off is reason enough to check it out.

I don't believe the ANK11 is E-4WD but I haven't seen any under-car pictures to be proven right or wrong. I'm positive that the 4WD K12 is E-4WD like the Cube of the same era, though.

For fuel, you could just easily have an internal fuel cell. I doubt you'll have any issues finding axles the right length, but like this whole project, there's gonna be a lot of custom fabricating to get the suspension and stuff all hooked up.

It's a massive job and I hope you do see it through. Good luck.

---dens

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
ive looked into a motor bike conversion but thats alot more work then i'd like to do. the thing with motor bike engines is if you use the gear box you end up with a motorbike clutch wich is pretty much on/off. so no good for daily/sliding only track work and donuts + motorbikes dont have reverse so you have to get a quife (sp?) box which converts the drive from foward to reverse (technically giving you 5 gears in reverse) so the other option would be building a custom bell housing and finding a fly/clutch to suit, etc...

the problem with the N/S set up is yeah, putting a 4cly engine in the space of what a 3cyl should really be fitted too, if i go N/S it will be new fire wall and trans tunnel to boot. hence why the F6a could be a good idea but it would have to be turbo. (these motors are tiny, you can install them with your arms :p) could go a VQ30de... 3cyl long altho width ways it might be a very tight fit, if it fits at all... but in saying that ive seen a VG30de in a 120y with ample room. another option would be a A serise motor, been around for years, quite a few after market parts for them, small and compact. but prob a limit to what i could do with it.

ive actually seen one pic of the ANK11 rear end the other day in my random hours of searching for info. it has two little electric motors so im guessing its the same as the K12 E-4WD. so thats no help really.

might be the best bet to hunt down a fella with a broken GTIR box and someone with a dead sr20 put the two togeather and see what its like sitting in the car and go from there.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
SR20's have been done to death, but I haven't yet seen someone put the GTiR drivetrain in a micra. The advantage I can see of the GTi-R setup is that you shouldn't need to hack the firewall nearly as much as you need to with most N/S configurations, depending on the engine. It would also make working on stuff in the engine bay a lot easier and again, there's the previous experience from those who have fitted up SR's in the past.

One other thing you might not have thought about - since the exhaust runs right down the middle, where are you going to fit a 2"+ exhaust besides having a sidepipe or something :p

VQ30/VG30 would be cool (especially with trumpets :p) but would be such a tight squeeze.

When you say A-Series motor, you mean Toyota A-series or what?

Was so hoping that the 4WD system in the ANK11 was a conventional mechanical 4WD system but I guess I shouldn't be too surprised - i've never seen a 4WD box to suit the CG10/13 so that might be why.

---dens

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
well thats my thought. sr20's have been done. i could run the gtir quads for extra clearance from the fire wall if need be. the gear box's can handle 200kw's? so im sure it could handle 100kw's only going to the rear... hopefully. they make dog cut gear sets altho that might be years down the track as i know thats an expensive option. gtir box's go for 1k from what ive seen but i could prob import a two or so u14 box's for spares if need be.

yeah, in the first post its one of my porblems, having the tail shaft, exhaust and the shifter all in the small tunnel. its only a 2" exhaust so if need be run it lower and jsut not have the car as low or even make a speerate tunnel for going under the passenger seat. i.e. half a decent sized piping running from the front to where the fule tank is like a channel and put the exhaust along that.

V6 would def be a tight sqeezz but epicly cool... no need to worrie about tourque ever!

Datsun A serise... A15's with some throttles would be cool... 1200geabox or something.

yeah, def. same here with the aNK11, would of been cool to use the IRS but turns its about as useful as a cordless drill in the rear... i have looked at other IRS rear ends but there all too wide, to heavy or too prone to brake.

CMF_620racer

» CMF Member
Alfetta transaxle, front engine rear wheel drive 1800 / 2000, tailshaft runs at engine speed, inboard disc brakes.

or

Subaru, midmounted with the mod kit that removes the front drive. Fuel tank up the front to help weight distribution.

Either way, big job fabricating rear end and firewalls.

How long is the MA10 out of the K10 Super Turbo?

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
some good ideas there but im pretty certian on a T serise diff. easy to find LSd's and spare axles. there light enough not to add to much weight but still should be beefy enough to slide with. im sure a transaxle would be a bit harder to fit a locked or lsd diff to. and mid mounted doesnt work for a slide car due to the weight distro. and a MA10 would be sweet... but i dont know of any AWD gear boxes or FR bellhousings...

Back