Found a box under passenger seat?

as above, it picks up the engine idel whan an electrical device is switched on, such as, rear window heater, heater blower, headlights

All K10s have them (Or did have) If you unplug them some times no difference is noticed!! Especially if non standard carb is fitted.

If its under the passenger seat and has multiple connectors its some kind of motor management.
This is in the newer k10 with 1.2 engine
The older 1.0 models have one under the drivers seat, but its much smaller and has only one connector.

well some K10 first model and second model have a small electronic box beneath the driver's seat. This box is used to stear a valve down into your carburator. Its used to increase the motor rpm with 200 when u switch on headlight, anti-fog screen at the back window of your car, when u put on the heater,... (you can check if when u switch the ignition key, dont start the motor and switch on the heater or headlights; You will hear a *click* from the engine)
One of the latest K10 had a better engine control system, instead of using only a carburator to control the engine, they switched into a electronic controlled carburator. (its a system shortly used between carburators and the electric controlled engine used today). The electronic carburator had a Lambda probe at the exhaust of the engine, measering the quality of the combustion of the engine. Also it has a EGR valve (you can see a tube between the exhaust and the inlet with a valve on the inlet, valve opens only when not in idle, reducing Nox and also heat production of the engine drasticly). Also it has ome kind of carbon filter (should be a small black bucket attached at the right upper cornor behind the engine) and if i remeber right it is to reduce some elements and preform a better cold start (have to look that up again :p ). Anyway the engine is more stable then its predecesors. And finally to get to your questions. All this improvements to the engine are controlled by an ECU and that is mounted under the passenger seat, if u get it out the black box, you will notice it looks alot like the ECU boxes on newer cars. The ECU also the rpm increase when you put on your headlights and heaters,... etc..

Yes it would still prob run on both type engines systems. The older ones for sure cause i unplugged tehm to save fuel. The newer one idk for sure, it would run, but better if ots plugged in. If you wanna immobolize your car, you should better be doing with the starter relay, or shutting down the battery, or jam the ignition coil shematic what can be very easily done ;)

If I unplug it, would the engine still start/run? Thinking of ways to immobilise my car until I get an immobiliser.
I unplugged mine and took it out to make room for an underseat sub. I got the most modern MA12 engine, no warning lights, nothing which is to worry about. Only problem is if I put anything on which drains alot of power when Im stationary my car nearly stalls.

the newer ones dont as it also controls a fuel shutoff valve in the carb. thats what I wired my immobiliser to.

Yeah there are running some wire to it, some is for the electric choke, one for the increase of rpm when u put on your lights and one the shuts off the engine fuel supply for anti dieseling effect. You can use that one indeed to immobolize your car ;)

Yeah there are running some wire to it, some is for the electric choke, one for the increase of rpm when u put on your lights and one the shuts off the engine fuel supply for anti dieseling effect. You can use that one indeed to immobolize your car ;)

I have usually ripped the coil plug wire with me if parking somewhere untrusted place. You can always put a switch between example some of the coil power/ground wires, and hide the switch under the dash or somewhere else good place.

Back