Foreign cars

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Im considering getting rid of my K10 for something a bit more modern, nippy, safer, mod cons etc etc and to be honest, apart from the Toyota Corolla like Kev's, there's nothing really else that's Jap which i like... so.. are they really as bad as everyone makes out?

There's millions of non jap cars on the road - some of which i do quite like, the Pug 206 GTI 180 for example is a very nice car imo. Is it worth the gamble and switching from Jap to find something i like, or should i just stick with the car that i've got! Im not as happy with it as i used to be.

A good MPG is quite important to me too, aswell as the mod cons and stuff. Can anyone recommend anything? Should i stay Jap or change?

Wouldnt mind knowing how G-man feels owning a Pug instead of the micra.

Cheers
Arnold

I know loads of people who have had Jap cars for years and then decided to try something different only to regret it soon afterwards.Stick with Jap.:grinning:

The Pug is a lot better than the micra, i still miss the micra, with it being my first car and all but all in all the Pug is a much better upgrade. It is French, but people do make them out to be a lot worse than they are, yeh if you find one thats been battered and hammered everywhere it wont be as good as a well looed after one. I would say go for it mate, get a gti180 or even a gti, they are much more comfier and easier to drive than the micra :) hope this helps mate

160sr....all the way

cheap to buy,really good mpg,most mod cons as standard,really good perfomance,its a jap engine even if the rest is french

and you can still be a mica owner :D

Arnold said:
Im considering getting rid of my K10 for something a bit more modern, nippy, safer, mod cons etc etc and to be honest, apart from the Toyota Corolla like Kev's, there's nothing really else that's Jap which i like... so.. are they really as bad as everyone makes out?

There's millions of non jap cars on the road - some of which i do quite like, the Pug 206 GTI 180 for example is a very nice car imo. Is it worth the gamble and switching from Jap to find something i like, or should i just stick with the car that i've got! Im not as happy with it as i used to be.

A good MPG is quite important to me too, aswell as the mod cons and stuff. Can anyone recommend anything? Should i stay Jap or change?

Wouldnt mind knowing how G-man feels owning a Pug instead of the micra.

Cheers
Arnold

before the micra the pug 206 gti180 was my dream car :D i still have a pic on my wall and a pic on my key ring!

blue of course ;)

but personally i will never by non jap because they arn't any good. they look good but thats it. i have spent so much time fixing my mates french cars and fords and jap cars are soooo much easier to work on.

like most people have said go k11 or k12 :D

BTW can i have your old car? ;)

my parents have a starlet, really good car. standard 1.3 engine but it aint half got some power behind it. Thats what i would go for it u wanna stay jap.

rallybunny said:
And if you go German, the only German make I really respect is Audi.

Stay Jap though, or you'll never hear the end of it from us lot. :laugh:

i moved from Jap to French, and no1 complains at me :p

I like the focus, i hired one in menorca and had alot of fun with it!!

Still quite like the 206. Ems suggested the Mitsubishi Colt yesterday (not the newest one), so might go check them out too. Still thinking about fixing up the K10 though. Would absolutly love a decent condition Honda Beat, was my favorite car at JAE 2004.

Cheers for the replies so far.

i wouldnt go with a polo GTi tbh, too many reliabilty problems, its why i abandoned them. As long as you dont get a old french car then you should be OK. Although the VTS seems to like eating head gaskets, not sure about the 206 GTi though, should be ok with it being new tbh.

Beat is a nice car, bit unpractial though and they are rather rare and expensive, rev to the sky iirc.

Ian

Hmm, tough one mate. I had the clio trophy, was fast as and handled pretty well (not as good as the silver K11), but i wouldn't have one tbh. I only got it as my mate gave me it for a fortnight (works in a car rentall place). So stay away from them as they are over priced.

What about a Civic Type R? I had a shot of one and was well impressed with it. Not that fast of the mark, but once you kick the tits outta it it fairly shifts. The joys of V-Tec!
Currently i'm waitng on the right ITR to come up, when it does the plan is to sell both the K11's i've got the now and get it. Have been in at the local importers for ages and still nothing had come up, but when it does, i'll be down to show it off :)

As for another K11, or K12. Nah. If your wanting to change cars, get with another model. Imo the k12 is still ugly as sin. The k11 is a good car, but for the money there are better cars out there now. Let us know how you get on :)

Titch :kungfu:

dont know, still early days really, just want to check out the options. Its either spend money doing up the k10 again and again or just get something which hopefully requires no work, and hopefully something that's good enough, i wouldnt need to bother modifiying it!

I'd probably consider some kind of dealership purchase, get something on finance, but not something brand new (you lose £xxxx's) getting a brand new one! I'd ideally like to wait till im 25 for the drop in insurance too on a decent car - only 18 months to go.. anyways, im still thinking and checking ebay for ideas!

--------

I quite like the look of this!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4645666346&fromMakeTrack=true

Any comments?! It's still Jap, and cheap tax/mot and got quite a bit more ooomph compared to my micra - and i hear they do 40mpg too!!

I'd say a 1.6 'mera would be a better compromise between speed and insurance costs (comparing to the GTi anyway) :) but that one IS in good nick!

Arnold said:
just get something which hopefully requires no work, and hopefully something that's good enough, i wouldnt need to bother modifiying it!

You wouldn't need to, but you would probably want too.... ;)

If you're thinking about a Fiesta ST, have a look at the ST owners club forums first. Loads of problems!!, rust, not starting on hills....

Just a word of warning. Still a nice car though.

Back