Flywheel weight

Thought I'd post just as a little bit of info. I weighed a 2001 1.4 flywheel at 8.0kg and a 2001 1.0 flywheel weighed 6.0kg. So quite a difference really.

Do they both accept a 180mm clutch? The pure weight isn't what you worry about really as much as how close to the edge the weight is concentrated (rotational inertia) :) Still, 2kg IS a lot...

Do they both accept a 180mm clutch? The pure weight isn't what you worry about really as much as how close to the edge the weight is concentrated (rotational inertia) :) Still, 2kg IS a lot...
I didn't take a pic of the 1l flywheel but the excess weight had been removed from the outer edge compared to the 1.4 one. These were both stock parts by the way.

this is the material difference, (a pic i posted in your thead agent_smith :) ) http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/engine-swap.58364/#post-641535

PA310005.JPG

good work there! if only my lathe had 50mm larger cutting diameter!
Even if you could remove excess material Tom you would still need to have it balanced and refaced due to the fact it may warp due to the different stresses throughout the flywheel once machined.

would like a lightened balanced crank as well...... but heres to wishing!
Many years ago I had a fully balanced engine in my Westfield. It was a lot smoother compared to other engines of the day. To be honest now though most modern engines are now equally as smooth. I get it with the weight issue though. A lot more revvy.

yeah. the way i see it is like this: micras aren't powerful, but they are light. if you can take advantage of that then DO IT! my old 1.3L Si was faster to 60mph than a bmw 320 auto convertible with (apparently) 170bhp.

my last micra weighed 747Kg with 10L of fuel in it.

ive got a 1.3L flywheel thatll go on my high compression engine, ill keep my 1L flywheel with my standard 1L engine just incase anything goes wrong.

Back