Fitting springs

daveeeeee

Ex. Club Member
hey, just a quick one, do i really need spring compressors to fit my lowering springs to my new shocks there not on the car, i dont have any atm and need to fit them asap.

cheers

The rears don't need compressing. The fronts do - however, all you need to do is loosen up the bolts for the suspension (so you can take it all apart) then jack the car up. The jacking process eases up the springs.

You MUST compress the springs before removing it from the shock assembly (unless of course it's not a coilover system (where the spring is around the shock))

If you don't compress the spring be prepared to catch the flying caps and nuts from the top.

you dont need a spring compressor, all you need is a length of that tkick nylon blue rope and a big screwdriver, this is how i did mine and is completely safe if you be carefull

You MUST compress the springs before removing it from the shock assembly

No you don't. If you follow what i said above, you can fit / remove springs without a problem. I wasn't convinced until Speedle did it on my car, and worked perfectly.

having done this many times i can safely say NO! you dont need spring compresors. the rears come off easy and will go on without a problem.

fronts; jack the car up wheel off, un bolt the center bolt in the top cup and the srpring will release, causes no damage at all. then fit the new lowering spring jack the wishbone to compress the spring keep the shaft lined up then get the nut on top, tighten it up job done. done it more times than i care to remember lowered 4 k10's (My first one, arnolds, my super s and my current one)using that method and all were fine.

spring compressors do help if youve never done it but when you know the car like i do it just gets in the way ;)

No you don't. If you follow what i said above, you can fit / remove springs without a problem. I wasn't convinced until Speedle did it on my car, and worked perfectly.

:)

he hee I keep getting reminded of this, i feel a right burk for usin em! (although i didnt buy em specifically for the job, done a few motors before!)

The shocks or springs arent on the car. when i sit the springs on the shocks it doesnt look like they really need compressing much.

hmmmmm this is giving me unpure thoughts to lower my car for free using a hacksaw..... :D

The k10 must be different from the k11 then, as even a deep cranked spanner won't get to the centre bolt, so you need to remove the shock unit from the car to get to it.

The k10 must be different from the k11 then, as even a deep cranked spanner won't get to the centre bolt, so you need to remove the shock unit from the car to get to it.

yeah you have to use a socket on both, down side is the shock tends to spin, i removed the front shocks and loosened the top nut right off then refitted so the weight of the car would take the tension then just removed with a spanner.
same can be done with the k11

Back