Fitting Hurricane Extractors to a Micra with Air-con ... ^_^

CMF_Dodgy Haro

» CMF Member
Hi ppl,

So my micra project is close to getting it onto the road - my last hurdle is the exhaust system.

Unfortunately my used hurricane extractors are only made for a non-air con model. I'd really like to keep the air-con so my options are:

1) modify extractors to lengthen #1 header to clear alternator

2) relocate alternator to clear headers

3) bite bullet & look for set of extractors that are made for an air-con model

Option 3 would be best but I guess most expensive given no one else in Australia makes such extractors - yes, I did ring Liverpool Exhausts but they only now stock non-air con headers.

Bit clueless as to options 1 & 2 - my mechanic mate reckons it's too hard but I'm sure someone would have some words of wisdom on this issue.

I'm really interested in option 2 if anyone has done it before. Most people have discussed this issue on the forums but if someone has done it already, they haven't given much info other than it can be achieved (like anything else).

Really don't want to lose cold air at this stage.

Thanks for your ears!

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
Any good exhaust shop should be able to modify the extractors to clear the alternator.

Otherwise would build get them to build custom setup but would be a more expensive option.

I've added a flexible joiner on the end of this setup prior to the cat.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Yeh you can spacer the alternator out by a few mm using some washers or even some proper spacers if you wanted. Then the bend required on #1 runner won't have to be as extreme. Even if the flow on #1 runner is average after the modifications you'll still have an awesome performance increase over the standard manifold.

CMF_Dodgy Haro

» CMF Member
Thanks for the heads up fellas.

Lam, will let you know what I decide ... if I do decide to sell the extractors, I'll keep you posted.

Importing set of headers from the UK seems prohibitive ... only because I paid $900 for my micra and the coilover suspension already cost more than that. @_@

Will evaluate options ... I'm just curious if people did it one particular way (either relocate alternator or modify #1 header) and then wished they've done it the other way ...

Will probably contact you Nissanmania soon ...

Thanks ppl!

CMF_lam.666

» CMF Member
imo if your going to modify the #1 runner, why go through the trouble of spacing the alternator

ur going to have to modify the #1 runner anyways, any set of extractors modified or not will still kill the standard manifold in terms of performance.

CMF_maat

» CMF Member
how much does a set of these hurricanes cost in australia and wheres the best place to get them? ive been to a few exhaust shops and one guy told me no one would even bother making performance headers for the micra :S

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
maat WROTE:

"how much does a set of these hurricanes cost in australia and wheres the best place to get them? ive been to a few exhaust shops and one guy told me no one would even bother making performance headers for the micra :S

Should have told him to stop being a ****head and look in his books. They exist but not for non aircon models.

As you can see in this thread models with aircon need some modifications to #1 exhaust runner.

CMF_Dodgy Haro

» CMF Member
Hi ppl,

Just a bit of an update - I haven't been idling and thanks to Yom and GTRholic + few others. Everyone was helpful in replying to my emails. :)

Well ... at one stage, I did consider taking the easy way out and getting the 4-1 IMPUL headers from Japan. Greeline Motorsport could supply it to me for $1,400 AUD delivered however that would be excluding any import duty.

Having spoken with my mechanic mate, we have decided to fabricate our own 4-1 headers which would be made to fit a micra with air-con.

Unfortunately we have only received the materials but it'd be made from stainless steel. No other progress / news but I'll update this thread as we go along.

No promises as I know this may take a while but I have requested that he make some extra sets if they are worth doing whilst he is at it.

Will get pics eventually I guess ...

CMF_95LX

» CMF Member
would be interested in how much it will cost you.... I am the same, modified extractors are very cost prohibitive, so if you are able to get them done on the cheap let me know!!

CMF_Dodgy Haro

» CMF Member
Yeah ... I won't say much more until I see the final product. Mate is doing it in his workshop but I don't have time to check. Have seen his handiwork before on a 3 header pipe for a 50 / 60's morris or something which looked sweet.

Doing it all in stainless steel he is. :)

Hmmmm ... Liverpool exhaust would be good if they assisted interstate customers. Rang them up a while back and was told:

"Thanks for your e-mail and sorry to keep you waiting on the line yesterday we were very busy.

To answer your questions.

1) We do not stock extractors which are suitable for the air condition Micra. Only non air condition unfortunately.

Regards

Min"

I guess it's a case of bringing in your micra and having it modified?

Ended up going the custom way - may cost a bit more but it will hopefully be a better solution.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Keep us informed D.H!

I was going to copy the impul 4-1 headers as well but then I went for a ride in Snoopy's car when he completed the turbo setup... My mind was changed forever haha

But over the past few weeks I've been thinking and I'm not sure if I'm ready to go forced induction just yet.

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
Bushido WROTE:

"I recently bought a race manifold/exhaust setup, but need to relocate the alternator and get rid of the AC, anyone done this? <BR>

I did this on my micra originally. Removing the a/c is easy, you can do that yourself, just get a a/c shop to degas the system first.

To relocate the alternator, you will need to get the alternator mounting brackets of a non a/c micra, aswell as the correct belt.

Again a very easy convertion.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
bushido that pic you've posted - all the runners look really tight against the block.

I dont think you'll have to remove the aircon to install it...

If anything you might have to space the alternator out 15mm (with spacers or washers) like the IMPUL kit does.

CMF_Bushido

» CMF Member
I had a hell of time trying to get it in today, removed the top bolt from the alternator, and the rad fan, also had to reposition the dipstick. and still couldnt get it close. I'll have till wait for my day off on sunday. Then will remove the alternator altogether and what ever else needs to come oout to get it to fit. then make adjustments from there.
measured the first downtube measured 80 - 85mm off the block. if it fits its going to be a tight fit!

CMF_Bushido

» CMF Member
technically you do, every 2 years we have "shaken" vechile inspection, and the car has to be "normal" they have limits on how low, mufflers,tint etc..
the only thing I might have problems with is noise violations :)

Back