Fiesta problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

curtis

Ex. Club Member
Hi bought a fiesta xr2i

Its the 1.6 8v 1991 model H reg

Basically ive asked the question on the fiesta forum and they are crap to be honest lol

The problem is that i fixed a leak in the rad by putting a new one in, then a hose started leaking, so fixed that

Now everything i fix a leak i get another one

Is this just fords? Or is there too much pressure or heat in the system

I can do a 15mile trip with it fine, but soon as i stop on idle or switch off it pours out!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

Well that's what you get for buying a ford. My mothers mondeo did this, turned out the headgasket was gone and was overpressurizing the cooling system so we half drained the coolant and sold it quickly lol

Hey dude, i dont have any advice on the situation but i can tell yah that it is a common thing with xr2is. my brother has the exact same model as you, and over the past few months he has been having the same problem. If you do find anything out, it would be good to know (has become a bit irritating having to re fill the water after short journeys lol)
Tom

it sounds like the classic headgasket symptoms to me, i always fill the rad to the brim and look for bubbles (fast idle)

Yeah it does bubble, lots of mayo on the oil cap, so its pointing towards a headgasket?

The fiesta always had mayo on the oil cap, this was something to do with the thin rocker cover and rapid cooling or something, they came out the factory like it.

Clean the oil cap. It's not always a sign of head gasket failure. My micra had it for years and it ran fine

Well I have a MKII orion with the 1600 CVH Turbo engine so know a bit about them. Although yours will be the EFI rather than the MFI lump.

The leaking could just be one of them things. Over time the hoses and the plastic on the rad will deteriorate, just like all cars.

Does the car over heat?

Yes the car will end up over heating if you come to a junction at sit for a bit

Im gonna take off all the pipes and wrap them in that homebase waterproof tape stuff and if it starts leaking again then headgasket is coming off lol

just do the head gasket anyway, it took me 2 hours to do mine and £12.50 for the gasket. i wouldn't recommend puting tape on the hoses, just replace them for new ones, shouldn't be a lot for a fiesta.

The only overheating problem i've come across on fords is the Thermostat housing deteriorating over time. But these are different symptoms.

I'd do a compression test, or franks method of filling up the radiator and watching for bubbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back