F@#!?ng halfrauds

right so the mazda is up on axle stands so i can change the shoes and cylinders on the rear, i'm thinking ideal i get to use my new tool kit that the missus has bought me THIS ONE

all's going well until i need a cross head screw driver........ snapped all the teeth off it..... never mind i have another decent one so i'll use that

skip a couple of boring bits.....

right i need the ratchet so i can get the old cylinder off......... it's slipping teeth but still kinda usable if you're gentle

6 sided 12mm 1/2 inch socket....... doesn't fit..... 12 pointed does???..... ok i'll try 11 and 13mm to small and too big

ok #### this i'm taking it back......

but wait the car is on axle stands and the tools i need to put it back together are broken grr

lol come on! that whole set for £50? my socket set from halfords goes from 14 to 22 and cost me £50, it has never let me down and i have had it for about 4 years, even abusing it with a scafold pole on the end and hitting it with hammer, etc all fine. i noticed a slight crack in the number 18, so i went back and they sent me a new one without a receipt.

They are cheap and won't stand up to abuse or anything that is oxidised or rusted shut, however they are good for working on car audio, interior bits and odd jobs around the house.

Mike

life time no quibble warranty........ cheap....... good looks.... never let me down in 6 years...... what ya complaining about..lol

Gotta agree - Wouldn't expect much quality for even the full price £100 for all that kit. My socket set, which is about 30 pieces, was only £20 and lasted me 10 years of good use.... but I wouldn't expect much when most of my additional sockets cost £3-5 each.

You didn't really expect that to last or even work did you? Once again the good ol sayin that You get what you pay for comes around once again. I never get bored of saying it tho. :grinning:

the dynamic" set is made by some chinese company for pennies...

the genuine "proffesional" or "advance" tool sets are made to the same standards as Teng tools or snap-on (distributed by tool connection uk)

i said it before and i said it again,

the Renault F1 team bought an entire stores stock before the belgian grand prix 4 years ago.... if its good enough for an F1 team, its good enough for you....(Y)

i agree with everything everyone has said but it was a present off the missus, all sorted now a mate gave me a lift and got myself a small pro advance set after telling the sales blokey that they shouldn't be selling #### like this to anyone

as a past manager of halfords i have to say that....... the dynamic set is there to show people what crap is out there and is a "trade up" option for the sales team..

a bit like having all of the shockwave bikes at £90 and showing customers what you can get for £120 in the carerra range etc etc.

its never meant to be used every day, merely a spare of the moment emergency set. but i agree..

its made of fromage........:p:p

karl the tools i have are the halfords professionals range and havent let me down and at times ill use the ratchet as a hammer! i sorted my tol box i have all my sockets :D

karl the tools i have are the halfords professionals range and havent let me down and at times ill use the ratchet as a hammer! i sorted my tol box i have all my sockets :D

what do you mean? you just got stuck on the "top nut"
its like your car system "is wicked" but hasnt got a-b replay :grinning:

i think i'm going to have to buy my own tools rather than relying on someone else who doesn't really know what they're looking for

Never had a halfords tool set but i have had 3 magnussen sets from b and q which they dont sell anymore. Simply because they took alot of abuse and were in constant use :) first set i got for £39.99 and my 3rd set cost me £79.99 both brand new at the time they just doubled in price because of the quality

The proffesional toolboxes are alright, but apart from that, the rest of it wouldn't stand up if you were in the trade. From what I've seen, only Snap on and Mac stand up to that level of usage, and even the snap on stuff will get replaced from time to time.

The proffesional toolboxes are alright, but apart from that, the rest of it wouldn't stand up if you were in the trade. From what I've seen, only Snap on and Mac stand up to that level of usage, and even the snap on stuff will get replaced from time to time.

The halfords professional stuff is good quality, I have a pro ratchet with my draper 1/2 socket set after the draper one fell apart and I use it on a daily basis and it is still like new. And with a lifetime guarantee they have to be pretty sure they will last okay.

speculation...

they do and have repeatedly stood up to daily trade usage in harsh environments..

humberside fire and rescue service bought 500 sets of the 150pc pro socket set to be kept in their emergency vehicles..... if they arent good enough why do Professional organisations use them?

being in the trade myself and having to use draper and britool (raf contracts) i would much much rather be using halfords tools.
and dont make me laugh... snap on are so bad now i wouldnt even expect them to last the week... snap on electric impact gun, mine went boobs up three times before i sent it back and got myself a draper expert version, that was 4 years ago and i havent even had a squeek out of it.

the only tool out there that warranties its cost is Teng. they are made vastly supersior to any tool i have ever seen or used.... but they are almost twice the price of even Crap-on stuff.

I'm just going with what I've seen for the last 2 years. I don't personally own any snap on tools, but use them regularly. I have a blue point air gun, but not quite the same standard.

All my stuff is Bergen. Seems to have held up, was a reasonable price.

Having used some halfords advanced and pro stuff, I'm not really impressed with the ratchet feel, or the ergonomics of some of the tools, but if you think they're good for you, go for it.

to be honest, i use my 1/2" ratchet as a hammer and have done for about three years.... still stood up to a wheelbearing and a 20" scaff bar handing off it..... still smooth as aver...."click Click"...:wasntme::wasntme:
and ergonomics?... its not a sofa..lol..

must learn to use this keyboard..... anyone reading this forum would think i cant spell... when i can, i just have fat fingers and they dont move fast enough for my brain..lol:blush::blush:

isn't blue point, snap ons budget brand? and i can't moan about the halfords advance tools i've been beating the crap out of my 8mm deep socket (got a bleed valve stuck in it) and it's not even denting

arguing about which brand is better will only end up going round in circles, years back i bought myself a real cheap argos special tool box for cycle maintenance and that has taken a shed load of abuse, the only things that have broken are my 13mm socket and a flat head screw driver (which was my fault for beating it with a lump hammer)

to be honest, i use my 1/2" ratchet as a hammer and have done for about three years.... still stood up to a wheelbearing and a 20" scaff bar handing off it..... still smooth as aver...."click Click"...:wasntme::wasntme:
and ergonomics?... its not a sofa..lol..

same here i never use my breaker bar cause it always seems to go missing so i just use a piece of scaffolding bar on my 1/2" ratchet never once let me down i will really say that the pro sets are the best tools ever and the tool boxes they come in are awesome my mate had his ran over by a mercedes sprinter full of quarry tiles and its still in one piece :laugh:

i see that one before
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...er-_-Product_List_Zone_1-_-Blank&iozone=PLPz1

but this is proven to last,used in rain grit dust,just need a wipe down and a little eng oil very rarely
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/94PC-1-2-...t=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4aa40f5d8b

Don't buy that!!!!!!

I just bought one of those - I think they've just changed the product to something slightly different. It was cheese. Badly made, badly moulded, badly finished, malfunctioning cheese. Just sent straight back for a full refund, never even made it as far as the garage. DO NOT BUY!!!!!!

most of mine are the halfords pro and have lasted well... on my work experience he had a halfords bttom box which is about 8 yrs old and a snap on top box which is 2 and the halfords box is still smooth and smoother than the newer snapon

Don't buy that!!!!!!

I just bought one of those - I think they've just changed the product to something slightly different. It was cheese. Badly made, badly moulded, badly finished, malfunctioning cheese. Just sent straight back for a full refund, never even made it as far as the garage. DO NOT BUY!!!!!!

dont buy what,,,,,,,most the skill is in the hands of the user

Don't buy this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/94PC-1-2-1...item4aa40f5d8b

I was contemplating it for a while - I liked the look of the wall-drive style of the sockets. However, what I received wasn't what was illustrated (that main pic was changed after I'd bought it and is accurate, but the additional pics below show the product I thought I had bought). The set I received was properly low quality. The half drive wrench didn't even ratched. The Universal joints were almost solid and all the mouldings were soft and badly finished - the finish flaking off of several bits. It all looked fricking awful. I wouldn't have trusted that set near the first seized bolt.

I am tempted by the Halfords Pro stuff - it does look like a good bet. However, I've had twelve-points round off bolts that a six point then undid... so I want six point all the way.

Are there any recommended six point 1/4+1/2 drives sets out there for approx £50+ ?

Don't buy this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/94PC-1-2-1...item4aa40f5d8b

I was contemplating it for a while - I liked the look of the wall-drive style of the sockets. However, what I received wasn't what was illustrated (that main pic was changed after I'd bought it and is accurate, but the additional pics below show the product I thought I had bought). The set I received was properly low quality. The half drive wrench didn't even ratched. The Universal joints were almost solid and all the mouldings were soft and badly finished - the finish flaking off of several bits. It all looked fricking awful. I wouldn't have trusted that set near the first seized bolt.

I am tempted by the Halfords Pro stuff - it does look like a good bet. However, I've had twelve-points round off bolts that a six point then undid... so I want six point all the way.

Are there any recommended six point 1/4+1/2 drives sets out there for approx £50+ ?

i will strongly recommend a halfords pro set (Y) ive never herd a bad thing about them and like i say ive had mine for ages and never once has it gone wrong and believe me i abuse tools to extremes. the halfords 1/2inch rachet is stronger than my old breaker bar thats no joke. i had my breaker bar end snap so i put a pole on the rachet and the bolt came straight off no problem.

i have bought some crap in my life from halfords and other places's but them pro sets are the dogs ######## (Y)

I have to say I'm much happier with the halfords pro stuff really good quality compared to the #### I originally moaned about at the start

Back