Extra things

Status
Not open for further replies.

curtis

Ex. Club Member
Hi, just wondering if there is any little things you can do to the engine to get a bit more power or speed.

the engine is the K10 standard. And becuase i'm re-building it what moddifications could i do as the egine is out??

Thanks in advance!

:k10:

not alot mate! the only "performance" engine parts for the k10 is a k&n bolt on filter and the power gains from that are debatable. the only other way to improve power is replace the inlet manifold and exhaust manifold. fit cams and have the head ported and polished (aka gas flowed) but this cost big money

cams you can get for about £90 but you'd need to have yours re-ground as you cant get them off the shelf

Yeah but re-building is a pretty big thing. Clean everything up, this way you will at least have the horsepower it came out of the factory with. Then you can start adding big things.
If you have a 4 speed put a 5 speed gearbox in it.

Depends which box you get. For better speed, get the 5 speed close ratio, for better economy, get the wide ratio (4 speed equivilent + extra gear)

Dump the gearbox, make it a direct drive 0-60 in 3 seconds, top speed about 10 MPH lol

hows about this bit
30-Picture%20132.jpg

Dump the gearbox, make it a direct drive 0-60 in 3 seconds, top speed about 10 MPH lol

ok.. how do you get 0-60 when it only does 10mph... (ah the use of an aeroplane or a cliff... i got it lol!!!)

Mate, seriously if you are taking the motor out.. stick in a 1.2. It will fit with no hassle as its OEM and it feels sooooo much better. overtaking on the motorway no longer requires military planning and you can hear yourself think at 80mph, even hear the standard radio! I have both cars so can make direct comparisons, but im sure everyone will agree. A 1.2 lump shouldnt set you back much at all.

Over taking with a 1.0 isnt all that bad but you usually have to down shift. When i drove Ems's 1.2, going up hills and stuff required no effort at all, and i must admit mine does struggle with that! but maybe that wont be the case with the CBR and 4-1 manifolds.

I'd recommend getting a set of those on yours to unleash some extra power, and maybe just give it a good clean up & service to keep it running nicely.

imo i cant see the point, i luv k10's but there not worth any large performance mods, especialy on a 1.0, you'r best bet is to put a 1.2 in, you can put all the mods on the 1.0 you want and it still wont shift as quickly, and you'll spend so much less doing it. then add some new shocks and springs for comfort and looks. personaly with my micra i'm going to keep the engine standard. And get myself a primera or sumin and beef the engine up on that.

imo i cant see the point, i luv k10's but there not worth any large performance mods, especialy on a 1.0, you'r best bet is to put a 1.2 in, you can put all the mods on the 1.0 you want and it still wont shift as quickly, and you'll spend so much less doing it. then add some new shocks and springs for comfort and looks. personaly with my micra i'm going to keep the engine standard. And get myself a primera or sumin and beef the engine up on that.

sorry Dave don't agree with that, the ma10 is a much stronger engine than the ma12. and is used as the base for the Figaro ma10et turbo lump. the ma12 has 5-10 bhp on the ma10 depending on the model of ma10 lump you have and about 10ft/lb of torque. an ma10 with a decent carb and inlet manifold could easily beat an ma12, admitidly an ma12 with the same carb inlet manifold would have more power but which one would blow a head gasket first? i know which one my moneys on ;)

personally i think the ma10 could run more power, more reliably (key word there!) and i intend to prove that theory shortly ;)

smaller engines aren't necessarily stronger, but because a 1.0 has less power it is less likely to damage itself so it has more tuning potential. If you want strength you should get a small diesel block and convert it for petrol, lol.

1.0's ARE stronger than the 1.2's. It's nothing to do with lack of power, its got a stronger head, as written by Speedle above.

1.0's ARE stronger than the 1.2's. It's nothing to do with lack of power, its got a stronger head, as written by Speedle above.

can i ask...what was the advantage of giving the 1.0L a stronger head over the 1.2???

Well as Speedle also wrote, it was used for the figaro, which was turbo'd so probably designed to take the extra punishment! I doubt Nissan designed the 1.2 to be 'weaker', but it is noticable that more people report 1.2 head problems than the 1.0 :)

And this is why Ed's MA09ERT is now capable of 200bhp ;) hehe, they knocked another 100cc off it to make it stronger still.

80s Nissans, you gotta love em :D

Hi, just wondering if there is any little things you can do to the engine to get a bit more power or speed.

Tuned length induction system (dyno required), add fuel injection in the form of MegaSquirt, decent exhaust system, performance cam. Or, if you are rebuilding it anyway, skim 0.1mm off of the head mating face or deck face of the block to up the compression a touch.

smaller engines aren't necessarily stronger, but because a 1.0 has less power it is less likely to damage itself so it has more tuning potential. If you want strength you should get a small diesel block and convert it for petrol, lol.

in this case it is mate trust me i know what im on about i've been living and breathing k10's for nearly 7 years nows and had this discussion more times than i can remeber

And this is why Ed's MA09ERT is now capable of 200bhp ;) hehe, they knocked another 100cc off it to make it stronger still.

80s Nissans, you gotta love em :D

aye another point i meant to make ;)

i suppose cos the block is the same size as the 1.2 but it has less removed for the pistons there is more metal left...?

Not being a K10 fellow, why is the MA10 tougher? I presume its down to its shorter stroke?

basically the ma12 head is a bored out version of the ma10 head, as a result there is less gasket sealing the head making it more prone to go

basically the ma12 head is a bored out version of the ma10 head, as a result there is less gasket sealing the head making it more prone to go

Ahhhh ok, I thought it was an actual engine "toughness" issue, like broken rods or something along those lines. Sounds like a job for a Group-A metal head gasket to me! :laugh:

aye that would helpful mate, but then the internals of the engine are weak as #### as well

con rods etc etc

:glance: seems i stand corrected. 200bhp!! o_O wow i new the ma10 was a tough engine but i didnt think it could withstand that much. hmm maybe i should mod my engine after all :laugh:

cant see how a 1.2 is weaker all this talk about 1.0 being stronger is rubbish,
ive never seen a rod out the side of a 1.2 but i have out the side of a 1.0 and as for blowing head gaskets buy decent ones not £10 ebay crap
you cannot compare the st engine to the ma10 totally different from a few of the parts ive seen
bigger crank journals thicker stronger rods and pistons

the 1.2 engine would be a better base engine to start tunning the inlet ports are bigger for starters

In my experience I agree with Bob, maybe I am lucky but i have blown two ma10 gaskets and so far no ma12 gaskets. I know this is a debate that goes on and on but i have never known an ma to fail due to the bore walls being too thin on a ma12 and i have never heard of any heads cracking so i'm not sure why there are comments about the ma10 head being stronger? the seating diameter of the fire ring on the ma12 head gasket may have a larger circumference but I can't see that this would make a major difference as long as the head is torqued properly. Of course, bore wall thckness is more important with high powered and or forced induction engines such as the ma09ert. I don't think you can beat the improvement from a ma10 to a ma12 without spending a lot of money. I reckon you would be well in to the territory of forged internals before the wall thickness becomes an issue.

:glance: seems i stand corrected. 200bhp!! o_O wow i new the ma10 was a tough engine but i didnt think it could withstand that much. hmm maybe i should mod my engine after all :laugh:

the 200hp refers to the March ST (MA09ERT engine)..not the run of the mill micra (MA10 or MA12 engines)....these are more likely to be around 75 - 80bhp before something gives way...like cutch or gearbox.....the word on the street though is that the stock block is good for 150 bhp..(uprated cluch & box.......may be head gasket too?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back