Exhaust Replacement?

MicraFish

Rollin' with Diesel and V8 Power
Hi all

I have taken a keen interest in my car's exhaust.
I seem to be noticing a raspy noise, much like a sports exhaust system. It's been there for a little while. Initially I thought it could be blowing, but I've had a look underneath and cannot find anything amiss.
However, on the backbox it has a Nissan stamp, and Calsonic underneath that. Pics attached. Apparently Calsonic do exhausts.

What I want to know is: do I need to replace the exhaust, or is it maybe intended to sound like that?

Any help?

DSCF3812.jpg

DSCF3810.jpg

Well hopefully I will be over at NeX's on Saturday so I will check whether it's leaking then.
If not I'll just have to cope with it's raspy exhaust note, how will I manage! :wasntme:

Calsonic make standard Nissan stuff in Japan, both my K10s have had Calsonic radiators so it probably isn't meant to make that raspy noise! lol

standard genuine nissan micra k11 back box's calsonic's (i have 2 of them)...there stainlesss steel skinned on the box itself...rest is mild steel though lol.

it should just sound quiet and standard lol.

get someone too rev the engine whilst you hold a rag on the end of the tail pipe, you should be able too hear it, if its blowing.

standard genuine nissan micra k11 back box's calsonic's (i have 2 of them)...there stainlesss steel skinned on the box itself...rest is mild steel though lol.
it should just sound quiet and standard lol.

Ah, maybe it is replacement time then - didn't need it this soon before my hols :( Got any going spare...?

get someone too rev the engine whilst you hold a rag on the end of the tail pipe, you should be able too hear it, if its blowing.

Yeah, I'll do that on Sat with NeX - if I get to his! Thanks for the tip!

Calsonic make standard Nissan stuff in Japan, both my K10s have had Calsonic radiators so it probably isn't meant to make that raspy noise! lol

Cheers dude, replacement it is :(

You don't actually need to rev it, it just needs to be on idle. Just stick your hand over the end of the exhaust, or use a rag if you want a clean hand afterwards, and have a listen. If it's not leaking, probably the wadding in the silencer is coming loose. That's what's happened to mine at the moment.

I'm hoping it won't spew it all out everywhere for a while, otherwise that means a new silencer.

MicraFish said:
Cheers dude, replacement it is :(
Sorreeee! Worth it in the long run though :) (Unless it's decatted with a Janspeed manifold in which case a rasp isn't out of the question!!)

don't worry about it Niki, as long as the exhaust system isn't leaking then there is no problem.

the noise is only an MOT failure if it is too loud

as long as the back box is not rusty or falling apart then its not an MOT failure (you should see mine, i pulled the outer skin off it because it was just pure rust!)

so unless its just that the noise bothers you, then its fine. there are enough micras in the scrappy to pick up a new back box, but it might be the time to get an after market one, if it really is bothering you that much.

i will take a look at it and check that the system isn't leaking anywhere, but i think it will be ok, your car is in much better condition than mine, and mine is fine :D

Well that's what we'll hopefully be checking on Saturday! :p
The noise is fine, I don't mind it! (I actually quite like it :blush:) Although i don't really need to worry about an MOT - it's not until January!
Dude I keep saying this to you - A. Grand. More! :laugh:
I'll be able to give you your birthday card on Saturday too if I get to come around!

James - I'm pretty sure it most definitely isn't that! :laugh:

Well that's what we'll hopefully be checking on Saturday! :p
The noise is fine, I don't mind it! (I actually quite like it :blush:) Although i don't really need to worry about an MOT - it's not until January!
Dude I keep saying this to you - A. Grand. More! :laugh:
I'll be able to give you your birthday card on Saturday too if I get to come around!

James - I'm pretty sure it most definitely isn't that! :laugh:

lol yea i know it was a grand more ¬_¬ but if mine is ok then your better be lol

you are so sweet :D

Back