Ev Micra project

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
Well, I've broken ground on my new garage/workshop for the EV build.... Evee(for what of a better name), is currently under tarp in the yard, until I've got flat dry ground to work in...anyway, I'm currently researching final technical specifications of the EV install.

Externally, I will be aiming for a WRC tarmac rally car look if that's a look that describes it.

Internally/mechanically, Lithium ion/polymer batteries, Ultra capacitors, Ac Induction motor rated at 60/150kW (120/300Nm torque).... EXA RS531V gearbox. no clutch. approx range of 200km.. Performance aim is 0-100km in 6second region.

whiteline suspension bits with the exception of G4 or other coilovers. Wheels/tyres not sure of depends of cost/performance(happy with 15's but interested in wide 13 or 14's). Brakes will be GTIR rotors and calipers plus engine regen using old clutch pedal(prob only need pulsar but I like brakes)

Interior, Gloss Black with brushed Aluminum parts(handles,knobs, levers, etc)...2 seater (deep racing buckets)set back a bit, Cargo cage that on closer inspection will improve chasis strength. Instrument binnacle to have acewell speedo with EV dash via palm pilot

For fun, I want to retain what appears to be a muffler/exhaust but will actually be a speaker network, which the driver can choose what the car sounds like......or not.

Any input anyone? Glad to hear your Ideas

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
if I can get it done for under $12K that would be cool but batteries will cost might be a killer, we'll see. Beside, I was gunna spend at least $6K on a turbo motor so something like this will be good, since it will pay for itself within 2-3 years (and the components will last 20 years and transferred from car to car) in fuel savings plus the performance/grin factor will be too much. A lot of research and calculations to do yet.....plus digging a new garage/carport this weekend first....need somewhere to play

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
its coming....just in the design process and gathering parts....respray, etc... progress will be slow since the income doesn't exit anymore..... I'll do what I can then get a loan to finish it with the major parts motors/controllers/ultra-capacitors/batteries/chargers......I've done a few preliminary sketchup stuff for the drivetrain. if I give a shopping list of the micra specific parts I need would people be happy to part with them cheaply?

CMF_33driver

» CMF Member
worth a try :) Also interested in your shopping list for the major parts (motors, controllers etc). I may be able to help in that space, i have a number of contacts in the auto electrical wholesale industry.

cheers,
matt

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
well. I've changed my mind (due to lack of finances) Instead of going for a twin motor (ac induction motors) straight up....

I will do it in stages....

for the time being I will:

restore current shell: shopping list to follow later if anyone has some throw outs...
respray will be in Holden green as seen on latest model (yeah the dark green) but open to other suggestions......(I like burnt Orange, standard micra red.. I don't mind gun metal with bronze tones either, like that new Citroen)

standard suspension or swap whiteline stuff from current micra.
14" wheels/185x60
converted to 4 seater to offset vehicle weight(2 recliners front/back).. trying to be under 900kg

setup will be
standard gearbox and driveshafts
mount 8" 38kw/150Nm Ac induction motor without clutch to gear box
use bomby lead acid batteries (since range goal is now 50km not 200km as previously required since no commuting involved only the 'skool' run' etc) mounted where fuel tank was.
clutch pedal converts into a regen brake (yes 2 brake pedals)

get this on the road. After recouping some money from not paying for fuel (since recharge is 40c for the 50km....) begin gathering for stage 2

stage 2
twin motor setup using a second 8" 38kw/150Nm induction motor with the custom direct drive (ie. 100kw/300nm power through 3" drive belts to 2 LHS micra driveshafts for symetrical drive, electronic user configurable differential drive.)

stage 3
utracapactors to fill under body area where exhaust was. this will give huge instant discharge to motors for "impressive" acceleration and assist in charging the batteries on regen. Plus extend Km range by 20% approx.

stage 4

20-25kw Lithium ion poly or LI FOS battery pack where fuel tank was to extend range to 300km.

stage 5
electric a/c
proper suspension (coil overs, etc)
Light big wheels (autoleggas or sumthin)
decent rubber
custom body kit
full computer instrumentation and control for a/c, drive, regen.

anyway, that's preliminary.... any suggestions please suggest away.

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
I went and got a few things from the wreakers yesterday....

Attachments

• 58503.jpg
    58503.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 26

CMF_daily_ricer

» CMF Member
Fred, if you can organise getting it to you from Adelaide, I have 4lt of "Ford Blaze Blue" acrylic you can have for free.

I have no idea how long paint stores for, but I bought the paint about 7 years ago to respray an old 70's Corolla, but I sold the car before that happened.

There is also a can of high-fill primer and 20lt of thinners, but I was saving that to use on my datto...

Attachments

• 58631.jpg
    58631.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 51

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
man thanks daily... very kind offer. unfortuneatly I will decline the Offer since I/my wife had a corolla with a similar colour....i think I'll have to photoshop some colours and see what the family/me is happy with....

Back