Engine upgrade for 1993 k11

Right just testing water really for now but still Carnt get the super s to fire up questioning the engine now. What engines fit easily or with little modification thinking of I am replacing it might as well put something a little faster in there at the same time

Just wondered if the 1.4 Or 1.6 16v would fit and give better power that's all. Might as well have some fun with it if engines coming out!

Just wondered if the 1.4 Or 1.6 16v would fit and give better power that's all. Might as well have some fun with it if engines coming out!

The 1.4 motor is a coilpac engine Ferris so you would be looking at changing looms / sensors / ecu etc ... you could pair the bottom end of the 1.4 (CGA3) to a 1.3 (CG13) head to get a 1311cc engine (if i remember right)

The 1.6 engines were only cast iron so any slight power gain from them goes out the window with weight.

I'd honestly just go with a decent running 1.3 as your easiest option with a few tweaks

The 1.4 motor is a coilpac engine Ferris so you would be looking at changing looms / sensors / ecu etc ... you could pair the bottom end of the 1.4 (CGA3) to a 1.3 (CG13) head to get a 1311cc engine (if i remember right)

The 1.6 engines were only cast iron so any slight power gain from them goes out the window with weight.

I'd honestly just go with a decent running 1.3 as your easiest option with a few tweaks
1311 is the CGA crank in 1.0 or 1.3 block eh paul :)

From reading a 1.6 from an almera (GA16) will fit one of 2 ways:
1.Cut a small recess into the chassis to clear water pump and relocate an engine mount, which weakens chassis (it's my plan, but have an aerospace coded welder friend doing that bit for me so I've got a bit of an exception)
2.Relocate all engine and GB mounts and create custom driveshafts (which if you're going to do you'd be best off using the 1.6 gearbox which requires no mods I know of to fit)

The above is also true for the 1.4 engine.

Option 1 is usually a bit of a bodge and not recomended, if you choose route 2 you might as well do an SR20 swap but there will always be loads of fabrication involved...

With regards to the 1.6 being a waste of time because of its extra weight, it only weighs circa 30-40kg more, and you will get around 105hp so thats a 30hp boost with only 40 extra kg, plus a lot more low down grunt.

With regards to the 1.6 being a waste of time because of its extra weight, it only weighs circa 30-40kg more, and you will get around 105hp so thats a 30hp boost with only 40 extra kg, plus a lot more low down grunt.
or put another way,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the stock 99hp is only 14hp more than the CGA3, and it will understeer like a boat :)

or put another way,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the stock 99hp is only 14hp more than the CGA3, and it will understeer like a boat :)

+1

A CGA3 with an exhaust system bolted on will put that out WITHOUT tuning and you wont have to weld or chop anything.

Each to their own though. If we all did everything the same, some would consider that boring.

For 1 bar boost:

PV=nRT
Assume nRT = constant (it's not or we wouldn't need intercoolers, but for the purposes of the maths it is)

How much pressure is needed to halve the space the air takes up (and thus double the effective displacement)?

P[1]xV[1]=P[2]xV[2] where P[1] is atmospheric pressure (~1bar) and P[2] is the pressure required to fit the air into half the space.
but also
V[1]/2=V[2] because we want the same gas to fill half the space. This can be put into the above formula to give:
P[1]xV[1]=P[2]x(V[1]/2) or
P[1]xV[1]=P[2]xV[1]/2 multiply both sides by 2:

2P[1]xV[1]=P[2]xV[1] divide both sides by V[1]

2P[1]=P[2]

P[1] = 1 bar

P[2] = 2 bar

1 bar of boost is 1 bar of GAUGE pressure, absolute pressure ignores atmospheric pressure, so 1 bar gauge pressure is 2 bar absolute.

Therefore, Frank is correct, although it is EFFECTIVELY doubling the displacement not actually doubling it.

Also, increasing RPM raises the HP figure, but power is calculated, torque is measured and if you want more torque, boost or displacement is the way to go.

It's probable I don't know as much as most here, but;

Why not use the 1343cc block, and innards with 1275cc head cams etc... Then a m45 Eaton supercharger... Not sure on head fitment but a little charger would be mega cool.

Back