Engine upgrade

CMF_k11chubbo

» CMF Member
Hey guys
I need some advice I have recently done the diff on my manual k11, I cannot find a gearbox anywhere in Sydney and I don't want to get my gearbox reconditioned (quote of $1200) I had a mate that wanted to put a SR16DE in it a couple of years ago because of the same mounts, I can get a reconditioned SR16DE engine and gearbox for $750.
I am leaning towards the SR for the bigger engine but I'm wondering if this would be a smart, low hassle solution.
Thanks

CMF_k11chubbo

» CMF Member
I want a bigger engine rather than just a new gearbox. I need feedback on whether it's worth doing for speed and reliability. Money isn't really an issue just time, if taking out my current engine and gearbox and slipping in a sr16de or a ga15de would be relatively quick and painless. It might be the added bonus I need to keep my micra or just buy a new car.
Although I've grown attached to the bugger.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

CMF_Greo

» CMF Member
Speed and power wise its a big jump.

Quick and easy not so much.

'kovert.k11' is doing a sr16 conversion as is
'turbo march-rolling shell' is also in the process of a conversion too

CMF_Mimz

» CMF Member
k11chubbo WROTE:

"I want a bigger engine rather than just a new gearbox. I need feedback on whether it's worth doing for speed and reliability. Money isn't really an issue just time, if taking out my current engine and gearbox and slipping in a sr16de or a ga15de would be relatively quick and painless. It might be the added bonus I need to keep my micra or just buy a new car. <BR>Although I've grown attached to the bugger.<BR><BR><BR>Any input is greatly appreciated.

Well if money isnt the issue then why bother going with the sr16de? Why not sr16ve or sr20ve? or even sr20det?
Any engine you choose will required new custom engine mount $$$
Then you need drive shaft $$$$
Then wiring/misc parts $$$$
Then if ur a law abiding citizen which i hope you are then $$$$ for an engineering cert and registration of the new engine

All the above excluding the cost of the engine will run to about 3-5k so as per your original post you dont want to spend $1200 for a reco gearbox or buy 2nd hand box..you sure u want to head down engine conversion pathway?

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
k11chubbo WROTE:

"Hey guys

I need some advice I have recently done the diff on my manual k11, I cannot find a gearbox anywhere in Sydney and I don't want to get my gearbox reconditioned (quote of $1200) I had a mate that wanted to put a SR16DE in it a couple of years ago because of the same mounts, I can get a reconditioned SR16DE engine and gearbox for $750.

I am leaning towards the SR for the bigger engine but I'm wondering if this would be a smart, low hassle solution.

Thanks

If you want bigger capacity the sr16 is the ultimate conversion, but the ga16 is ok also. The engine is heavier because of a cast iron block but it makes about 80 to 90 kw stock. Not much compared to a sr but they Are cheap.. You can use the micra gearbox, so that means no driveshaft mods. So you will need a small mod to the front engine mount and drivers side engine mount. The biggest issue is the water pump clearence on the chassis rail. You can cut a piece out of the rail and properly strengthen the rail, to clear the pump. You can even use the standard ecu if you tried hard enough.
I am trying to do this atm but have not got the time. Just think a micra with torque with no turbocharger :) you will still need an engineers cert because of the cc's

Back