Best engine upgrade

Anto Modded

Ex. Club Member
Ok people, im thinking of 3 options here. turbo my 1.0l engine, look out for a 1.3l and put it in and turbo it, or buy a second hand 1.6 almera and put that in. What do you think would be best. I see a 1.0l turbo would be something different, the 1.3l with a turbo would be handy to do and the 1.6 would take a little work but save on a turbo. Im just trying to look at the pro's and cons. In ireland a 1.0l is all there is and there laughed at. But that dont bother me i love my micra and want to go 1 step further. All opinions would be great be it good or bad

1.3 is quite nippy and would go straight in I think,to much work involved in turboing the 1.0 unless you realy want too but if I was you and going to stick with the micra jus with a bit more power with reliability stick in a 1.3 or the 1.6 if your up for a bit of welding n other fun stuff

if you're going to go to the trouble of putting in a 1.6l then you may as well fit a 2.0l, near enough the same amount of work for even more power and less weight than the 1.6l.

It all depends on your budget and the amount of time you have really.

I have a 1.0lx myself and if I had the money, the time and I happened to know the right people I'd probably look at getting a 1.3 engine from a scrappy and look into turboing it. If your Dad is a mechanic then thats a big advantage.

The advantage to this would be that you can re-fit the 1.0 engine thats in the car at the moment without much hassle if you want to revert back at any time and if you do end up screwing something up, it's only £100 or so for another 1.3 engine and you can just do a straight swap if you decide not to go down the turbo route.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't go changing to a 1.6 or 2.0 as there seems to be a hell of a lot of work involved with structural parts of the car and the electrics that you really don't want to mess up.

Thats not to say putting a turbo in isn't a lot of hard work, but from what I've seen so long as you understand how the turbo works, can weld a custom manifold and can pay someone to mess about with the fuelling, ecu, etc then it's an option. The amount of strengthening the engine would need for this is dependant on how much boost you would want to run I guess. I would speak to someone like Kristian or Ed if you seriously want to go down this route though as I really don't know much about it.

the 1.3 upgrade would be your best bet. 20 more ponies instantly! Engine swap would be pretty straight forward, you will need 1.3 drive shafts, you can use the 1.0L gearbox and clutch but it is advisable to change this from the 1.3 also as it can cope better.

will be your most cost effective option talking in the hundreds and not thousands for a turbo'ing

A 1.3 is the simplest and the most effective use of money and time, especially if you add a good exhaust and induction system as part of the package. That would pretty much double your power output compared to a standard 1.0 and leaves a lot of money to spare on extras such as handling and braking upgrades that you would otherwise spend on fitting a bigger engine in.

End of the day it's up to you, whatever you decide I hope we can be of help :)

well ive found a complete sr for around 200 euro. mechanics is 100%. bodywork is bad but i would have all the engine parts i would need

by 'sr' do you mean a P10, P11, N14 or N15 sr spec, or do you mean a car with an SR20 engine? if it's the latter, you'd be better of getting a P10 eGT or P11 GT as they are high port 150bhp engines.

by 'sr' do you mean a P10, P11, N14 or N15 sr spec, or do you mean a car with an SR20 engine? if it's the latter, you'd be better of getting a P10 eGT or P11 GT as they are high port 150bhp engines.

guessing he means k11 1.3 sr :wasntme:
and p10 eGT would be easier as all p11 GT's have NATS

if you're going to go to the trouble of putting in a 1.6l then you may as well fit a 2.0l, near enough the same amount of work for even more power and less weight than the 1.6l.

I thought there was a 1.6 that when straight in?

Back