Engine swap

pork

Club Member
If you swap a ma10 to a ma12, who do you have to notify? Dvla? What about insurance, any other legal crap you have to sort out?

Not that we condone this sort of behaviour on here, but surely you get a similar situation with MA10 to MA12 conversion as you do with a CG10 to CG13 conversion? As in the only way you can tell the engine is bigger is by taking the engine apart to find it's bored out an extra 200cc/300cc, or the actual engine size punched onto the front of the engine? Ergo, simply file the numbers away cleanly, then re-stamp the engine numbers on? I think that's what Frank means :grinning:

Ah right, I wasn't too sure. I didn't want to say exactly that there was no difference in case I was wrong. But surely once the engine is in, you won't really notice a difference in the height of the engine?

Well, it could technically be classed as fraud. But I daresay that, if you could figure out a way of getting round it, it would be quite hard to get found out. Not worth taking the risk though, so wouldn't really recommend it

Ok. I know it would be a bit more to insure a bigger engine, but would it be even more fir a transplanted engined car?

Plus it says MA12 on the block
Seriously there is no price difference for me to have a MA12 in mine, the premium went up £100 a year when I said I'll put a turbo on it :D
Yes transplanted engines are usually more expensive to insure than the original model it came from but ring the insurance and ask them, hell just ring and say you want a quote for a 1.2 k10 Micra there's nothing wrong with that

Not 100% sure, you'd have to find out from someone who's transplanted another engine into their car, and insured it by saying the car has a different/bigger engine in it. I daresay it would be a bit more to insure, but I don't know exactly. A few of my friends have done other engine conversions (not on Micras, but same make/model of car), and it was more expensive to insure a car with the transplanted engine than it was to insure the car that the transplanted engine actually came from in the first place. But other people might have different experiences

Not 100% sure, you'd have to find out from someone who's transplanted another engine into their car, and insured it by saying the car has a different/bigger engine in it. I daresay it would be a bit more to insure, but I don't know exactly. A few of my friends have done other engine conversions (not on Micras, but same make/model of car), and it was more expensive to insure a car with the transplanted engine than it was to insure the car that the transplanted engine actually came from in the first place. But other people might have different experiences

Read above lol, you should have guessed by now I'd have done it lol
My previous conversions
Fiesta 1000cc-1300cc-1600zetec
Fiesta 1400cc-1600cvh turbo-2000cc turbo
Integra 1800- turbo - supercharged
Skyline 2000cc-2500 turbo
S13 1800cc-2500 turbo
Current
K10 1000cc-1200cc-1200 turbo- ??secret :)
S14 2000cc - either rb26 or some V8 vette engine

Read above lol, you should have guessed by now I'd have done it lol
My previous conversions
Fiesta 1000cc-1300cc-1600zetec
Fiesta 1400cc-1600cvh turbo-2000cc turbo
Integra 1800- turbo - supercharged
Skyline 2000cc-2500 turbo
S13 1800cc-2500 turbo
Current
K10 1000cc-1200cc-1200 turbo- ??secret :)

That's a hell of a lot of conversions :laugh:. You seem to have a thing with turbos :grinning:

Ahhhh, no clues with the K10 conversion? :wasntme:

That's a hell of a lot of conversions :laugh:. You seem to have a thing with turbos :grinning:

Ahhhh, no clues with the K10 conversion? :wasntme:

That to be decided when I finish the ma12t engine, but basically driven through the arse ;)
And yeah as i said in a different thread
I'm gay for turbos :)

You just put the engine in and keep quiet. Don't tell no one nothing, it ain't nessasery and it ain't worth it. You're insurance will rocket up because your car has been "modified".
If anyone asks, you bought the engine from a scrap yard and they said it was a 1L, and you don't know how to tell the difference. Sometimes being honest will get you into ####, so just say nothing.

Back